I meant to ask...

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.
Fretful1

I meant to ask...

Post by Fretful1 »

When my zither was delivered, I removed the bubble wrap and immediately sustained a minor injury. For some reason the manufacturer decided to install small (but very sharp) spikes on the bottom of the three "feet" on the back of the instrument. Sure, the spikes will prevent the instrument from slipping but I fear my wife's wrath when she sees the resulting scars on her heirloom dining room table. Are zithers typically equipped with these micro-weapons?
Graham

Re: I meant to ask...

Post by Graham »

Yes! They stop the zither sliding on a table-top, and transmit the vibration of the sound-board (which is the bottom on a zither, not the top) to the table, which then acts as an added amplifier/resonator.

Yes, they do cause damage. One way around is to unscrew them and replace them with feet with little rubber pads. These don't damage the table-top, but don't transmit the vibration so well, so they would have an effect on your sound quality and volume.

Another way is to get or make small hardwood blocks to put under the spikes. I use old "checkers" playing pieces, made of hard Boxwood, with a small depression made in the centre on one side to take the spike. It works.

There are some other posts on this topic here somewhere.

Apparently zithers have been banned in some German establishments for this very reason. Spoil-sports!
Fretful1

Post by Fretful1 »

The bottom is the sound board? Well, my zither knowledge just increased again! Thanks, Graham.
KC9UDX

Post by KC9UDX »

A# minor? Or just A minor? (A# anything is not fun)

Kidding aside, I used sticky chair sliders and just poked the feet through the sticky side. It isn't permanent, but they do last a long time. Wood would obviously be better, but this works. It didn't dampen the sound as much as I expected.
dansvrchek

Post by dansvrchek »

Actually, a better alternative is available. You can buy replacement zither feet with a rubber tip on it. These are available from Horst Wuensche or Kurt Hartwig. They cost about 3 to 5 euros apiece plus shipping of course. They’re great to have on hand in case you have to play on a nice wooden table. They come in either 8 mm or 10 mm size so you have to kind of figure out which you need. I find that when using the rubber tipped, the resonance is not as strong as with the spiked tip, but it’s useful to experiment both ways and see what you like .