New kid, wrong zither?

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.
Ferrator

New kid, wrong zither?

Post by Ferrator »

Hi there!
Yet another new kid on the block, and I am not sure if I landed in the proper place.

I finally did it, bit the bullet and got a zither (still winging it's way here from France). It is a Valnarosa "chord" zither I picked up on Etsy through GrantsEmporium:
Valsonora 5 chord zither.png
Valsonora 5 chord zither.png (747.91 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
But I am not seeing any of this zither on this site. Is this not the place I should be?
Ferrator
Envoy to the Great Ferret
The two most important things in life: Nap time and as much practice as your fingers can take
KC9UDX

Re: New kid, wrong zither?

Post by KC9UDX »

Well, yes, this site is about the Concert Zither.

What you have is a "guitar zither" also called "chord zither" or Akkordzither. The playing technique is completely different. A guitar zither is a very easy instrument to play, especially if you have the sheet music. The sheet music goes under the strings and you follow the lines, like painting by number. You should be able to find sheet music for it online. Yours is a standard 5-chord model, which means it is missing D# and A#. That is a very common configuration.