What are the two extra holes for on my zither?

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

joelgardner

Re: What are the two extra holes for on my zither?

Post by joelgardner »

And done.

I took a piece of steel bar I had laying around and made myself a music stand. It is a heavier gauge steel than the original so I had to enlarge the holes. But i think it came out very nice.
Wire music stand for a Schmidt zither
Wire music stand for a Schmidt zither
20230817_200444.jpg (254.93 KiB) Viewed 22471 times
Zither music stand
Zither music stand
20230817_200640.jpg (355.29 KiB) Viewed 22471 times
Music stand holding sheet music for playing in the original zither position.
Music stand holding sheet music for playing in the original zither position.
20230817_201100.jpg (443.71 KiB) Viewed 22471 times
Thanks,

Joel
1930s F. A. Porter (Schmidt) 4/15 Statue of Liberty 4 Chord Zither
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Joel - looks good! If zither owners send you the distance between the two holes on their zithers (if their zithers have holes), you could provide the music racks. Good on you for tracing down the original idea.
Tom M.
PS - If you do start making them, you might want to use a smaller dimension wire, like what's used for some metal coat hangers. Then you wouldn't have to modify the original holes.
joelgardner

Post by joelgardner »

Thanks Tom!

If I come across some smaller guage steel I would consider making them by request. They are not difficult to bend in a vice. I also polished it up with steel wool, and then gave it a coating of floor wax to fill in the metal pores and keep it shiny for a few years.

I'm not sure if you have been following my other post in the restorations forum, but I also made a nice looking stand for it. I might make a case as well, I haven't decided yet.
Thanks,

Joel
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Before drilling holes in the instrument, you might want to consider mounting the note stand on the table, as described elsewhere on this site.

Does the instrument mounted stand affect acoustics?

rudi
joelgardner

Post by joelgardner »

Hi Rudi, thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, this is a replica of the original note stand that would have come with this zither.

The holes were factory drilled through the outer frame of the instrument body outside of the tuning pin holes. Most zithers I have seen were manufactured with these holes for this purpose as well.

Just like the tuning pin holes, they do not go into the resonance chamber or effect the tone. I did enlarge the holes slightly to accept a sturdier wire stand, but that was my only modification.
Thanks,

Joel