Fingering Question

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Andy

Fingering Question

Post by Andy »

Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm. I’m trying to slowly work through a song, and have gotten stuck on the first page. The song is „Ich bin ein Kind vom Rhein“, it’s originally written for Vienna tuning, which might by why this is awkward. Figured the song is easier in position 3 (so far), how would you approach the circled section, and do my fingering nodes above seem sane?
947BBC71-B9F1-4088-BD7C-E85DCD7EDF88.jpeg
947BBC71-B9F1-4088-BD7C-E85DCD7EDF88.jpeg (834.11 KiB) Viewed 56095 times
- Andy
Rudy Mueller

Re: Fingering Question

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Sorry Andy,

As an intermediate beginner, I'm stuck in the first position for most pieces. However, measures 18-21 of "Kind vom Rhein" are workable in the first position, except for the open (and tinny sounding) "a" in Measure 18.

Zeller's Vogelhändler is a treasure, yet sadly, seldom heard. In the past, our Wendlstoana group frequently opened up Fest programs with a rousing chorus of "Grüsst euch Gott"; got the audience moving every time! At our home have a Meissen piece depicting "der Vogelhänder" (und Freundin) complete with a teeny tiny porcelain bird in its tiny porcelain cage.

rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

and while we're talking about Zeller....

have you tried "wie mei Ahn'l zwanziigJahr" ? A delight, and although written in 3/4, is a ballad, and the tempo can be adjusted to fit the mood of the player....even a newbie like me.

rudi
Andy

Post by Andy »

Ohh, I have not but I'll see if I can find it. I'm itching for some new music. I've started working through "In der Dorfschränke" and "Haushammer", which I do believe I have you to thank for - found them here on the site. Also figured "Ich bin ein Kind vom Rhein" would be a bit of a stretch, but I wanted something that would ease me into playing more than one note on the Griffbrett, and figured its always good to push yourself.

- Andy
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Thanks Andy,

Here is a beginners version of "Wie mie Ahnl..." When playing from the start, I add an intro measure of two quarter notes in the melody line, an "e" and then a "d" and then rolll ight in with the "d" in thee first measure, etc.

Rudi
wie mei Ahnl (1).pdf
(673.81 KiB) Downloaded 1326 times
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

In "wie mei Ahnl", the last measure and half seem to be the intro to the next piece in a medley.

r
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Andy, Rudi, just a FYI, here are the Zeller selections currently available on the web site:

SM-0082 Carl Zeller Grüss Euch Gott alle miteinander
SM-0083 Carl Zeller Ich bin ein Kind vom Rhein
SM-0084 Carl Zeller Rosen-Walzer
SM-0085 Carl Zeller Obersteiger-Marsch
SM-0086 Carl Zeller Vagabunden - Marsch
SM-0096 Carl Zeller Grubenlichter - Walzer
SM-0460 Carl Zeller The Nightingale's Song (Wie Mein Ahn'l Zwanzig Jahr) / Grüss Euch Gott alle miteinander
SM-0798 Carl Zeller Sei nicht bös

See https://www.zither.us/vintage.zither.music.project
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Dave, thanks x 10^6.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Thanks again Dave. The Bb arrangement by W. Strack you've shared is probably better for singers and chorus. (Zitherists usually play "Stille Nacht" in C, but many hymnals will have it in Bb). Strack's intro is a beaut; I have wondered where Kurt and Megan got theirs.

One difference between Strack's version and the unknown arranger's listed above, is in the first two measures of the refrain, there is a sort of pause, going from eight notes to quarter notes, wheras Strack just keeps on going ooom pah pah. The unknown arrangement seems to be more in sync with the spirit of the text.

Rudi
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hi Andy,
I'd stay in 1st possition. with those 3 chords and 2chords in your marked messures you are better of with the 1st possition. I will download the sheet and try to put fingerings on.
happy zithering,
Carmen
University trained Zither teacher

carmenamrein@yahoo.de
Discover the magic of playing Zither free FB group: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=D ... g%20Zither
carmen-amrein.de
zithermagic.com