Heirloom Zither Repair - Tuning Pegs

Is your zither in need of repair? Do you have questions on how to best maintain your zither, or have advice? Post your questions and advice here.

Moderator: Dave

EliorMagen

Heirloom Zither Repair - Tuning Pegs

Post by EliorMagen »

Hello!

I'm a newbie looking to use an heirloom Zither passed down from my first Swiss Immigrant relative in the 19th century. It's in very good condition overall, but there are one or two issues that, while fixable, I would like some guidance on.

Both issues concern the tuning pegs on the melody strings. One of the pegs will not move even a little; how can I loosen it to remove the strings and retune it? I don't want to put anything on there that could harm the instrument. Another peg has broken ivory on the bit that you turn; it's still technically usable, but I would like to replace it with a new handle. Has anyone done this?
Rudy Mueller

Re: Heirloom Zither Repair - Tuning Pegs

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Congratulations on your Zither. Incidentally, one of the best zither players here in Wisconsin is from New Glarus.

Mechanic problems are discussed on two locations on this site, under

REPAIRS AND RESTORATIONS, go to page two to the article "Melody String Tuners" with several comments, to "loosen" the keys, and

ZITHERS AND RESOURCES, go to page three, "Zither Pins, Tuning Hammers Etc." with references to finding replacement parts. You may be able to get a replacement.

If at all possible, when purchasing from foreign vendors, use Paypal; it's relatively hassle free, and the exchange rate is fair.

I had to have one of the keys on my guitar replaced, and the replacement only lasted a few months. Replacement with a home-made carved maple replacement has been in place for over ten years now.

Rudi Muellerr
EliorMagen

Re: Heirloom Zither Repair - Tuning Pegs

Post by EliorMagen »

Vielen dank!!!

I will do as you suggested, and keep this space posted with any updates. If I can't find a replacement, I'm going to attempt making a replacement peg button with some walnut I have lying around.