Another Newbie

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

kenbloom

Re: Another Newbie

Post by kenbloom »

Feel free to contact me directly (kbloom1@triad.rr.com). I had to puzzel through most of this by myself. If I can shorten the journey for you, I'm happy to do it.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes, your zither is pre-1900, as you supposed. Schwarzer zither, serial #5595, was sold to Lohr's music shop in New York City in 1894. The model is listed as a 23 1/2. From the catalog description:

Schhwarzer Concert Zithers, Style "A." Large Model. 35 Strings.

No. 23 1/2 - Imitation rosewood top, sides veneered with tulipwood, bottom polished black; ivory celluloid bound edges and inlaid wood purflings; pearl figures inlaid around sound-holel neatly engraved German silver patent head; finely finished; in cloth covered wood case, flannel lined, nickel-plated coreners, catches and trimmings, with lock and leather handle.....$50.00

Welcome to the forum!
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
CapeGuy

Post by CapeGuy »

Thanks Dave!

Just saw this, haven't been on much lately. That is really cool info! I have to laugh at the price but hey it was pre-1900! Do you know if this Zither was considered low-end, high-end or somewhere in between for it's day? Not that it really matters - this one isn't going anywhere for a long, long time (if ever), I'm just curious.

Unfortunately I don't have the case, or any case. Does anyone know of where one can be had? I'm thinking maybe an autoharp gig bag might be fine just for protection, I won't be traveling with it. Obviously would have to measure it.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Bergfee greens take about 5 weeks for delivery from Germany. The price for a single set including shipping is about what one would pay for a single set here. I used PayPal to avoid problems with exchange.

rudi
attila57

Post by attila57 »

CapeGuy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:52 am Thanks Dave!

Just saw this, haven't been on much lately. That is really cool info! I have to laugh at the price but hey it was pre-1900! Do you know if this Zither was considered low-end, high-end or somewhere in between for it's day? Not that it really matters - this one isn't going anywhere for a long, long time (if ever), I'm just curious.

Unfortunately I don't have the case, or any case. Does anyone know of where one can be had? I'm thinking maybe an autoharp gig bag might be fine just for protection, I won't be traveling with it. Obviously would have to measure it.
Hi CapeGuy,

As for the case, it's a good idea to get hold of a flat microphone case, or a multi-purpose tool case for your zither. It might not be the exact size, but you can put small blocks of polystyrene covered with some soft fabric into the box to keep the zither in place. These cases come in different sizes and some of them are very sturdy indeed, with thick laminated wood side panels, an aluminum frame and quality hardware. I don't know brand names but there are lots of types available. Some brands sell parts separately and the dealer has a service to put the custom-sized case together for you. You can find these cases at music instrument flight case suppliers, along with note stands, stage equipment and so on. Probably the original case of your instrument was lost, or it was in such a bad condition that it would have deterred you from the purchase, or at least that's what the dealer thought, I think. I have just bought a similar zither to yours, and the instrument is in a reasonably good condition, but its case is obviously past its prime. It seems that the once beautiful, leather-covered wooden box has done its duty quite well, but along the road it has become rather battered itself. Rust, mould, woodworms, even spiders - you can expect anything in such an old case.☺