New Guy On The Block

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Hobbyop

New Guy On The Block

Post by Hobbyop »

Hello to everyone in the group! My name is Bruce, from Central Illinois in the U.S., and I'm just beginning my journey with the Concert Zither. I hope to be a contributor to this forum and not just a lurker. I have been playing the Chord Zither for some time, and now have decided to take the leap into the more complex Concert Zither. I love how it sounds and enjoy watching videos on YouTube. There are many excellent players, but I must say that seeing and hearing Magdalena Pedarnig (Zitheristi) play pushed me over the edge. I just recently acquired a nice Concert zither from ebay, complete with a sturdy case, a Darr book and a tuning wrench (I tried to attach a jpg of it, but apparently it's too big and is rejected for upload).
The first 'A' string for the fretboard was missing, so I replaced it with a 0.012" piano wire, tuned it and now it seems to be working fine. The zither is missing several other strings (Accompaniment, Bass & Contra). I was trying to figure out a rhyme or reason to the types of strings that were still there: there are different colors, some are pure nylon, some seem to have a nylon core wrapped with wire, and some seem to be pure wound metal strings. It all seems a bit confusing to me in trying to determine which replacement strings to buy. I'm starting to lean towards buying an entire set (my Zither has 38 total strings: 5 melody [fretted], and 33 open strings) to just get all the strings to match. In my early searches on the internet I like the Bergfee green 38-string set, but they cost more than I paid for the Zither! Does anyone have any input, info or ideas on replacing the strings, or what brands are best etc?
Anyway, I'm glad to have somewhere to go for some answers as zitherists seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, and Zither instructors are nearly non-existent (at least in my very limited experience so far).

Best Regards,
Bruce
Rudy Mueller

Re: New Guy On The Block

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Hi Bruce,

This is Rudi Mueller from Grafton WI, on the northern edge of the Chicago metroplex.

You definitely want to touch bases with Anne Prinz, (ATOZTHATISME@AOL.COM) for information on strings and supplies rings, etc.....and for zitherist contacts in your area. Her group in and around west central Illinois and St. Louis is quiet active.

Replacing a full set of strings is quiet a bite. You may want to consider replacing strings as you progress, as you need them: the griffbrett (fretboard) 5, then the next 12 accompaniment, then some of the bases. It will be while before you need the contra basses.

As supplements, you may want to print out the first 10 or so pages of Kabatek's "zither method"
(https://www.zither.us/files/kabatek_zither_method.pdf )
and Keyes "Mastering the scales and arpeggios" both available on this site; on starting with Keyes, work on the C scale. If you have issues finding these manuals on the site, ask Dave. I've found Kabatek helpful for getting the accompaniment and melody going at the same time.

On the accompaniment strings, you'll notice every fifth one is red, starting with "f" the third one in.

When replacing strings, do them one at a time, even one per day....we've all broken a string or two by overtightening....I generally do a "full tune" about once per week, then tune the strings I'll use for the session daily....Watch the humidity....stable humidity and temp will help stable tuning.

an electronic tuner (~$15 on amazon) and metronome (phone app or?) might prove helpful.

Do you have an issue with your tuning wrench? are the tuning pins square or rectangular?

Best wishes as you begin your journey, My e-mail address should be in the member list.

Rudi
Hobbyop

Post by Hobbyop »

Hi Rudi, thank you for your quick (and informative) reply! I will contact Anne Prinz as you suggest and see if she can help me. I'm pretty anxious to start learning this beast, so I'd like to get it restrung as soon as possible.

Here's a photo of my Zither (hopefully I've shrunk it enough to upload). I don't see a manufacturers name, but it seems very well constructed and probably not too old. I've downloaded the two instruction books you suggested and will probably print them out as well. No issues with the tuning wrench and I believe the tuning pins are square?

I'll post any new developments as I progress. Thanks again for your help!

- Bruce :)
Attachments
IMG_07052021_163541_Legal_Landscape_(355.6_x_215.9_mm).jpg
IMG_07052021_163541_Legal_Landscape_(355.6_x_215.9_mm).jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 10746 times
Andy

Post by Andy »

*wave*

Welcome to the forums Bruce. That’s a really nice looking Zither. Your going to have a lot of fun learning, just be patient, the learning curve is brutal. Always happy to answer questions.

Magdalena is amazing, learning a few of her arrangements now.

Look forward to seeing you around,
- Andy
Hobbyop

Post by Hobbyop »

Thanks for the encouragement Andy! I'm sure the learning curve is tough on this beautiful instrument, but I'm recently retired, so it'll help keep me out my wife's hair for a bit if I practice often, ha!

- Bruce 😀
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Hi Bruce,

please check your private messages file on the top bar.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hi Bruce,

your Zither looks lovely. Welcome to the Zither adventure!

I am Carmen from Munich, Germany, university trained Zither teacher. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

I recently put up a free Discover the magic og playing Zither Facebook Group. There are infos about tuning, restringing, the Instrument, it's tuning, aso. AND THERE IS MORE TO COME.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1577706629101770

Your strings are tuned in the circle of 5th. A 5th interval is for example c-g or g-d
I also can provide you with accessories if you need those strings (you basically need the first 20-24 strings on your "open strings" Freisaiten) It never hurts to replace the fretboart/Griffbrett strings, bc they are often worn out and you will have an amazing sound after restringing them.

I am also working on an english Online Zither Course right now. Hope to launch soon.

happy zithering,
Carmen
carmenamrein@yahoo.de
www.carmen-amrein.de
www.zithermagic.com
happy zithering,
Carmen
University trained Zither teacher

carmenamrein@yahoo.de
Discover the magic of playing Zither free FB group: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=D ... g%20Zither
carmen-amrein.de
zithermagic.com
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Hey Carmen,

My Dad played zither in Schwabing in '23 - 24. He was from Freising, the rest of us are om Neufahrn...

Rudi
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hi Rudi!

I live in the Messestadt, that's eastern Munich.

Cheers,
Carmen
happy zithering,
Carmen
University trained Zither teacher

carmenamrein@yahoo.de
Discover the magic of playing Zither free FB group: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=D ... g%20Zither
carmen-amrein.de
zithermagic.com