The Circle of Fifths

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

Evelyn

Re: The Circle of Fifths

Post by Evelyn »

Oh dear ... this occasionally happens to me as well. I now always copy my text, and if it disappears when sending all you have to do is paste it in again. Another option would be to compose in Word or Notepad etc and then copy/paste.
Wilhelm

Re: The Circle of Fifths

Post by Wilhelm »

Well, back again.
Maybe not the right thread for this answer. My Zither was build by the Mr R.Grünwald himself. And of the 60-s a close relative to the daughter of Mr Grünwald, music professor in Berlin a german fellow made some repairs to. My grandpa' had big hands and he made a new, but not beautiful "steig" in german, for the right hand. The old was taken away and a new built.

In Sweden I think I'm the very last one playing. There is an old fellow, a friend of mine, he stopped playing for some years, hi got ill, sick.
My teacher was Alois Öllinger from Austria, he landed up in Sweden after the II war. He died about 12 years ago. So this way, only little me is playing but I'm not a good player, practice far to little, or not at all the last say 10 years.

One reason I came to this site is to get more inspiration and take up the Zither and start practice again. An maybe can help someone else. I' m not dead yet ;-))

The Zither is a Harp- model , I attach a picture, downpixeled size. Build Year 1920 Number 120.My second Zither i build by the famous German Company Wünsche. Built year 1982 number 82/19/59. I bought it after Alois dead from the widow. The shape is a lite smaller and the sound with steel strings sharper an brighter in diskant/treble.

As a child I lived with my grand parents and listened to the Zither almost every day. After the revolution year 1956 I came to Sweden and was very surprised to hear Grandpa' playing the Zither in the Swedish radio. How is that possible? The story came up. Grandpa'an Mr Karas played together in Wiena, they were actually schoolmates. After the war Karas was "discovered" and he asked my Grandpa': Well Onkel Willy, does it matter if I say to them this is my music since the movie-maker want me to play it as background music in a new movie. Well, here this is a bottle of vine for you! Mr Karas never said himself that the tune from the movie The Third Man was written by him, but he became famous.

So folks, now You know. For years I thought I had an obligation to learn and play and move the tradition further. But today there are thousands of players in Germany. In Sweden only one left, and he is not so experienced. I knew him. ;)

Back to the the circle of fifths. To my experience and listening and to get nice sounds out from the Zither I prefer to to tune so the "quint"'s/fifths are more "clean" at the expence of other "overtone"'s , the Zither will became more "singing".

Hopefully this was useful for You folks over-there.
Greetings from Sweden.
Attachments
Morfars-zither_cr.jpg
Morfars-zither_cr.jpg (130.71 KiB) Viewed 6798 times