Tuning pegs

Is your zither in need of repair? Do you have questions on how to best maintain your zither, or have advice? Post your questions and advice here.
Graham

Re: Tuning pegs

Post by Graham »

Ausgezeichnet! Result! So you have a properly made zither, with NORMAL Germanic threads, not strange American backtofront ones! :D

Now, restoring the pegs ... On one of my zithers with very old rusty pegs, I took them all out, cleaned them thoroughly with fine wire wool (be cautious, as you don't want to damage the shallow micro-threads, so always go WITH the thread, never against it) then completely degreased them, then bathed them in dilute vinegar and water so that they had a thin EVEN coat of rust everywhere, and then treated them with "Kurust" rust passivator, then varnished them to seal them. This is essentially the same as old-fashioned "blueing", used on vintage firearms, etc.
Fretful1

Post by Fretful1 »

The pegs were very dirty with light corrosion. I cleaned them with soap and water and found they were nickel plated. Some careful wire brushing revealed a nice (albeit lightly pitted) shiny nickel surface. They are definitely "keepers".

Thanks again!
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

When I retired (2001) the lab assembled a list of rudi sayings. As i recall, "rudiism" #24 was something to the effect of.....

"this problem, when solved, will be simple"......and after the fact.....they all are.....never pull on a shoelace....

rudi, da oida
Fretful1

Post by Fretful1 »

Graham:
Thanks for directing me to the Thomann catalog! First, the good news: Thomann has 5.5mmX40mm zither tuning pegs in stock for .88 each. Now, the bad news: When I attempted to order a set, I received a message stating that they "cannot deliver Gewa products to your country of choice (United States). In disbelief, I selected "Canada" as my country of choice to see if Thomann would ship there. Yes, the order was accepted and would have been processed and shipped to Canada, had I completed the transaction. Now, the final bit of unbelievable information... While Thomann was prepared to ship 27 zither pegs to Canada, they stated that the shipping charge for 27 pegs would be $75!!! Outrageous!!!

Does anyone have another source for 5.5mmX40mm pegs?
Graham

Post by Graham »

Try contacting Gewaguitars.com directly? I agree, that's ridiculous.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

German postal prices are out of line....the world's leading exporter???? Hmmmm, I wonder. Maybe for the upper, but not for some guy out in the Hinterlands trying to get his zither back to playable shape.

Our close relatives no longer send Christmas packages or even Christmas cards...., but bring their gifts and best wishes along on the next trip.......with hard copy receipts to get through customs.

rudi, da oida