Anton Brauer

Do you have an item of historical interest to share with the zither community? Did you have an ancestor that played the zither? This is the place to share your stories.

Moderator: Dave

quincemothman

Anton Brauer

Post by quincemothman »

For those of you who might be interested I had my Anton Brauer Perfekta zither restored a few months ago by those nice guys at Horst Wunsche. They did a great job. One thing that puzzled me though, and that is its age. I noticed on Christoph Schwarzer's web site an article on Anton Brauer. I thought he might know something about the labels Brauer used as I seem to have what appears to be the older one. I emailed him ( with a photo ) and he very kindly replied saying that I was right about my label being the oldest one. Apparently Brauer used the old label until 1914, then after the war he changed to the green label. So now I know my zither was made some time between 1900 - 1914. I hope this might be helpful to any one who has a Brauer zither.
Attachments
Restored.jpg
Restored.jpg (329.9 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
kenbloom

Re: Anton Brauer

Post by kenbloom »

What a beautiful instrument! My Adolph Meinel perfekta was made about the same time, again, near as I can tell from the label. I have recently discovered that a table with a thick (7/8") top greatly enhances what were rather weak bass notes with mine. I find this especially useful with a perfekta since you can't always play those bass notes as close to the bridge as I would like to get more clarity. Enjoy your restored prize!!

Ken Gloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Many thanks for the photo, and the very useful information re label/timing of this beautiful instrument.
Kennethpauls

Post by Kennethpauls »

that is, wow, a beautiful instrument; and nice restoration.