Fretboard Tuners

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

Mrays7945

Fretboard Tuners

Post by Mrays7945 »

In looking for an instrument, I notice that many have guitar-like tuners on the fretboard, while others have pegs just like the accompaniment, bass, and contra strings.

Is this just an aesthetic thing, or do the guitar-like tuners allow for more ease of fine tuning, similar to the fine tuners on my autoharp?
Rudy Mueller

Re: Fretboard Tuners

Post by Rudy Mueller »

The old, beloved, 6 griff-string zither I keep in Mainz has (square) pegs for the griff tuning. No problem if one has a wrench with decent handles, like most of the current ones (~<10 EU on ebay.de; check the size) If you are using a small, poorly fitting clock key (like I did years ago), you'll have some issues. If the key provided seems too loose or tight, Andreas Waldschütz is a great source; mic off several pegs for a good estimate in mm, then start looking.

Anyone going to Bavaria should visit Miesbach and Andi"s shop (come with a shopping list) Downtown Miesbach (Andi is out in Boonies ~3 km from downtown) also has a GREAT restaurant, several good "dirndl" shops and an interesting music shop ....

Check out possible domestics for tuning keys first. WATCH OUT; some of the old instruments have rectangular keys. Take a look at the close-ups; no close ups, no deal. I do have one spare rectangular key.

Again, when looking at pre-owned zithers, do not even consider one without detailed photos of all sides and edges (and the pegs); any cracks are a deal killer.....as are those dealers not considering payment methods we usually use here (..if there are issues after sale, you may be S.O.L.).....

and you'll have to do some re-stringing....

rudi
Kennethpauls

Re: Fretboard Tuners

Post by Kennethpauls »

And if you're looking to repair the fretboard tuner, take it to Jeffrey Meinel (why are so many people in Markneukirchen named Meinel? It's so confusing) at Rubner. He speaks English, he's very nice and his company does nice work