May 19 - polyphony

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

NutmegCT

May 19 - polyphony

Post by NutmegCT »

First attempt at LH and RH each playing a melodic line.

https://youtu.be/YGWJtbd0qEM

I actually don't know if I'm making progress, as it's more a "mechanical" process I'm following. Trying to remember which RH finger goes to which string at what time.

If someone gave me some music where the melody used all the accompaniment strings, I'd be totally lost until I "memorized" the entire piece, as I can't imagine ever knowing where each melody note is. All accompaniment and bass strings use circle of fifths structure, but melodies are written using a staff with notes in alphabetical order.

Sure hope it eventually becomes automatic. Wow.

Tom M.
Musicmaker

Re: May 19 - polyphony

Post by Musicmaker »

Hi Tom.
For my two cents worth, I tend to learn a piece measure by measure until I know it off Pat.
I can then concentrate with refinements like finger positioning.
Yes you are clearly making progress.
Pete
Kennethpauls

Re: May 19 - polyphony

Post by Kennethpauls »

I use that same method. Inch by inch/measure by measure. I cannot say it is the best way, but it does allow me to memorize the piece and enjoy it without being bound to a music sheet. And yes, there is a lot of pleasure in going back later and re-playing with the sheet music to see what has been forgotten/tossed aside so that the final music has depth again.