West Coast Zitherers

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

Kennethpauls

West Coast Zitherers

Post by Kennethpauls »

Are there any zither players here in the Los Angeles area? I was a student of Kings Keyes a few decades ago and since his passing have not been able to locate any other players but one in my state. I've tried contacting the German Consulate as well without any luck.
Rudy Mueller

Re: West Coast Zitherers

Post by Rudy Mueller »

hello kennethpauls,

have you tried the schuhplattler gauverband nordamerika? their website is http://www.gauverband.com/ .

from the main page, one can go to MEMBER VEREINE , then to U.S.A., then to CALIFORNIA, where you'll find a good half dozen or so clubs involved in preservation of bavarian/austrian folk culture.

among the clubs listed is the TIROLER U BAYERN ZITHER CLUB OF LOS ANGELES CA. hopefully they can be of help.

rudy
Kennethpauls

Post by Kennethpauls »

Thank you for the information. It's been a quest at this point. I did try the Tiroler Zither Club you mentioned- no one ever answers that phone number, and they seem to be no longer functioning. Will try the website you provided and hopefully will make a contact.
Kenneth Paul
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

events at the bi-annual gaufest of the north american trachten gau, generally include a "volksmass" with zither and hackbret accompaniment. rick michels, the gaumusikant is listed in the "music" section of the site, might have some leads, and a more up-to-date contact listing, if the group is still active. i will ask dave to forward his e-mail address to you.

rudy
velocio

Post by velocio »

I should finally reply, even though I do not consider myself a Zitherer just yet (I have been playing for 18 months only). But I am definitely interested in connecting with any other West Coast Zither players. My location is in San Luis Obispo county, and I am traveling rather regularly to Los Angeles and the Bay Area.
Joseph (from Bavaria)
Kennethpauls

Post by Kennethpauls »

Hi Joseph. You can contact me directly at kennethpauls@me.com. If you're in LA I'd be happy to meet up and chat on "zithering". I live near LAX airport.
Kenneth Paul