red strings

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

henrylrjr

red strings

Post by henrylrjr »

I looked at a number of posts regarding red strings but couldn't find any clear explanation, about what they represent, except for one post that said they are used as a reference or guide. It seems to me that the red strings are major 3rds apart. Please tell me if I've got it wrong?

Thanks,
enrylrjr
Rudy Mueller

Re: red strings

Post by Rudy Mueller »

A great reference point, every fifth string, starting with #3 f in the accompaniment, through the bases, thus breaking up the open strings into groups of four, each group starting with a red.

This falls apart if one used "Viennese" or chromatic tuning starting with the F contra. Some maintain the "Munich" tuning through the contra bases. Having C, G, and F a little closer may be helpful, maybe not.

The Joh. Hornsteiner zither here has bronze (not the bright red) colored strings every fifth string. Some re-familiarization is needed when switching between instruments. Its strings are older but solid, and I may replace the bronze for "reds" before it's sold, especially if sold to a student.

Rudi