Karas for zitherists

What songs are you playing now? Do you have a question or comment on playing techniques?

Moderator: Dave

cloudymoor

Karas for zitherists

Post by cloudymoor »

So I'd like to purchase Karas' Third man music (not just the main theme). Not some guitar or piano transcription. Or is that what zitherists use? Where the heck is this, lol! Are most zitherists just playing it by ear? I saw someone on youtube playing it and he said it was Alfons Schmidseder's transcription. Can't find that either and he didn't respond to an email request. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I'm still very curious to see the music. I heard Cornelia Mayer playing various pieces from the score and would very much like to see the lesser known pieces as well. Many thanks in advance.
Dave

Re: Karas for zitherists

Post by Dave »

I suspect Alfons Schmidseder's arrangement is still copyrighted, but I'm not aware of who owns it, or if it's still being published. The Deutscher Zithermusik-Bund (DZB) has a number of music houses listed on their web site. Perhaps an email to a few of these will result in some leads.

From the DZB site, select 'Informationen & mehr -> Noten & Musikhäuser"

http://www.zitherbund.de/

One of the play along books offered by Zither Australia Publications includes 2 Karas arrangements, the "Cafe Mozart Waltz" and "Harry Lime Theme".

http://www.zither.com.au/products.html

I would be interested in exploring some of his other works too. Let us know what you discover.
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Gertrud Huber has apparently recorded the "themes" of some 20 episodes from the Third Man movie (www.allmusic.com/album/the-third-man). Some are quite short (seconds), others are several minutes. If she did the recording, would she also have the music?

The interesting web site of Ms. Huber is www.gertrud-huber.com. Her music company may be a good resource for any player, possibly a visit if you ever get to the Munich area.

Happy hunting. If not successful, you may have to get out pencil and paper.

Rudy
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Hello,

Regarding to sheet music of Anton Karas I'have The Anton Karas second Theme and Zither Rhythm of Anton Karas.

Stefan Huberts