Finding a Playable Zither

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Dr H

Finding a Playable Zither

Post by Dr H »

Hello all, forum newbie here.

I guess I'll start by basically posting the e-mail that I sent to Dave when I registered for the forum:

I am a composer and multi-instrumentalist specializing in fretted string instruments, with my primary instrument being the guitar. I have been a professional musician, although I gave up trying to support myself solely through music some time ago, in favor of a more lucrative day job utilizing my skills in engineering, computers, and grant-writing. In recent years I've focused more on composition, but I still perform when the occasion arises (or demands!)

As I have expanded my repretoire of fretted instruments, it occured to me that the Zither was one I had neglected, and also that the zither presented a number of unique features not found in the various guitars, banjos, mandolins, charangos, etc. that I have been devoting my time to. So about four years ago I took it into my head to try to acquire a concert or alpine zither in playable condition, learn at least the basics of playing the instrument, and perhaps compose for it.

My problem lies in acquiring a playable instrument.

I'm sure you can understand that I was reluctant to spend several thousand dollars to acquire an new instrument which, in the end, I might be unable to play, so I sought used instruments. Months of searching failed to turn up any appropriate prospects locally, so I resorted to eBay.

This was discouraging in several ways. First off, for whatever reason, people who sell zithers on eBay almost never include a "buy it now" price, so one has to go through all the steps of the auction for a week or more at a time -- and possibly still not be the lucky winner. (I think I tried 6 zither auctions before I finally won one.)

Then, I found that sellers on eBay have wildly varying ideas as to what constitutes "good condition". Basically any zither that hasn't been partially consumed in a fire or run over by a truck is sold as being in "good condition".

Thirdly, I discovered that most used zithers seem to be either ~100 years old, or ~50 years old, with strings of similar venerable age. And for a long time I was unable to locate a source for new zither strings. (Strings, as least, I have since found a source for.)

But the instruments themselves have been disappointing. After four years I have managed to acquire five unplayable, and mostly unrepairable zithers. I have restored many guitars, so I do have some fair amateur luthier skills, but so much work would be required to make any of these zithers playable that it would probably be less labor to build one from scratch -- and I'm not sure my skills or my available time are quite up to that.

It would be untrue to say at this point that I am 'undaunted,' but I -am- stubborn and persistent, so I keep seeking new avenues to assist me toward my ambition. I came across these discussion fora recently, and I'm hoping that some experienced souls who have been fortunate enough to acquire their own zithers may be able to give me some advice as to how best to acquire a used instrment in playable condition, or failing that, a used instrument in repairable condition.

Hopefully I will have something to contribute besides questions. Over the past four years I've acquired a fair amount of /academic/ experience re zithers, if none of an actual practical nature. Not to mention a collection of Ruth Welcome albums. :)

So, anyway... hi there!

--
Dr H
Rudy Mueller

Re: Finding a Playable Zither

Post by Rudy Mueller »

good evening dr h.,

are you in the chicago metroplex area??? if so, we have zither 'sunday" on saturday this month, in wales (delafield) wisconsin.... that is tomorrow, saturday, feb ll, 2012.

buying an old zither is like opening up an old coffin... i still remember my father's brother george saying "yaaah, i tuned up my zither...and the bottom fell off". on the other hand, i purchased my father's sister's zither (tante ella, which i have nicknamed "boomer"), which is not only intact, but structurally sound, with a tone almost offensive in a crowd. some people take care, others do not.

a good source: look for people in your community who have zithers which they're still playing. "Spielbar" or playable, may be a help.

rudy mueller
Dr H

Post by Dr H »

Hi Rudy, thanks for the reply. Love the "old coffin" analogy. :)

I'm in Oregon. The only zithers I've actually seen in my area were being used as wall-hangings in a pawn shop. Some had actually been nailed to the wall -- I wouldn't even do that to an old beater guitar. Anyway, that's what drove me to e-Bay.
cloudymoor

Post by cloudymoor »

Hi and welcome Dr. H. I'm close to a newbie as well and it's a hard road if you don't speak German or live in a part of the country with immigrants from Germany/Austria. I fall into both those categories. Soon got disgusted with eBay's pitiful offerings and then opted for German/Austrian eBay via the buy-it-now route. The selection was far greater of course. Found a nice instrument that Kurt Eckroth kindly identified via email for me--- mid 1930s "Tiefenbrunner". The dealer spoke no English, and my husbands college German served us pretty well. (Coupled with those pathetic online translating devices.) I DID have to purchase alot of new strings and some of the pinblocks are probably a little loose now in this dry weather, but I am very pleased with the quality of the instrument. Didn't pay more than 300 dollars for it, in fact probably closer to $275. Kurt thought I got a steal. I hope so. I'm pretty happy although one day I'd like a luthier to take a look at it.

best regards
Dr H

Post by Dr H »

Thanks for the reply, Cloudy.

Y'know, I'm whacking myself in the forehead right now. I just figured that eBay was eBay, and that's all there was. Duh! Never occured to me that there might be a German (or other) version of same. Of course, that's a great suggestion and I'll give it a try. I can read a little German, but am anything but fluent; still, I know some people that could translate for me, if necessary.

Woohoo! Off to Germany on the Web! :o
Dr H

Post by Dr H »

Well, I "Einloggen"-ed into "Mein eBay," and wow -- there are about ten times the zither offerings as on the English/US eBay. And I figured out that "Sofort-Kaufen" is "Buy it now." Not sure exactly what the currency conversion is these days, but I'm guessing about $130US per 100 Euros or so.

Average going price for "Harfenzithers" seems to be 700Euro, or about $900US, which is a bit above my range, but I'm not really looking for one of these extended instruments at this point, as cool as they look.

The concert zithers -- most of which seem to be posted as "alte Zithers" ("old zithers") -- are much more reasonable, although I did find a couple priced around 1200-1500 Euro. The lower price range for those that look like they might actualy be playable, or made playable with some minor repair, is between 150-350 Euro, (about $200-$400US), which is the range in was hoping for.

Now all I have to do is figure out who is willing to ship to the US, and how to get them payment without using PayPal, and see what kind of a selection that leaves.

Thank you again for the suggestion: this is the most progress I made in three years. :)
cloudymoor

Post by cloudymoor »

I'm glad you're finding some inventory over there. I would reconsider the PayPal issue. It's a highly trusted manner of payment and it's the seller who will be paying a fee for its use, not you. (Don't forget Austrian eBay. That's where I found my zither.)

Best regards!