Von Anfang an Band 1

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

cloudymoor

Von Anfang an Band 1

Post by cloudymoor »

Hi, I'm another beginner with no teacher or knowledge of the German language. (There is someone a couple of hours away but my work schedule interferes with getting together.) I'm a classical pianist and have found the reversing of the staffs (left hand playing treble and right hand playing bass) the most challenging aspect so far. Hard to reverse decades of training. lol.

I started with the Stessl book and was then recommended to use Von Anfang an Band 1 by Anne Prinz. I've been plugging away and prefer how it handles introduction of the harp strings, although the Stessl book certainly has merits as well!! After fruitless and hilarious attempts at using online translating software I've basically just been reading the music and hoping my technique is going ok. If anyone is familiar enough with this book to say if there is something in the text that's crucial in terms of technique, I'd appreciate it.
Rudy Mueller

Re: Von Anfang an Band 1

Post by Rudy Mueller »

isn't there a translation of "von anfang an" out there somewhere?

how big of a book is this? i.e. how massive of a task would it be to translate?

is this a printed copy or in e-form?

where are you located? years ago, our milwaukee german-american shooting club wanted to host a postal match, thinking we'd be able to contact a few clubs. well, we found 22 active groups like ours, with about 15 participating in the match. hmmm.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

by the way, there is currently a schwarzer zither from melbourne florida with an a darr instruction book on sale on e-bay (u.s.) (~300 us$ jan 8, 2012).

seller has contact with the owner, who might (probably has????) other contacts or information about florida zitherists.

rudy
cloudymoor

Post by cloudymoor »

The only English language books that are still available for purchase are the Darr method and Stessl. Please someone, corrrect me if I'm wrong!! if Von Anfang an Band were available in English I would imagine Anne Prinz would be carrying this version instead of the German. It's a slight volume, geared for kids.

if you research zither instruction manuals on Worldcat, you'll find that most English language zither instruction books are extremely dated and too rare to be allowed for interlibrary loan. (I'm a librarian and have looked into this heavily.)

I'm in New York---about an hour north of Manhattan.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm not familiar with the tutor mentioned, but your assessment of available English language methods is correct. In the late 1800s to early 1900s, zither methods published here in the US were commonly available in a dual-language (German-English) format. As you've stated, these methods are dated and can include techniques that are no longer acceptable. As an example, many early methods illustrate the right hand position with the pinky anchored to the bridge of the instrument, which is a complete waste of a very useful finger. :) Other methods present material in treble clef for the accompaniment and melody and have tuning methods that don't quite line up with what's in use today. Despite this, you're likely to find some very nice and practical songs for learning in these early methods, should you own a few. Personally, I've enjoyed working through many of the songs in Adalbert Albrecht's Zitherschule.

In the coming weeks I hope to expand the forum to also include lessons. If you have specific questions on playing, please ask as these could possibly be integrated into a lesson plan. In general, clarification on seating, tuning and hand positions would be useful to ensure players are starting off correctly with the basics and, if your schedule permits, Jane Curtis will be holding another zither seminar this April. Some personalized instruction from her will go a long way. The seminar is free, so your only cost will be transportation and lodging.

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

dejavu??

did i already mention somewhere in this discussion that i have a copy of the english/german "ZITHER METHOD with special regard to self-instruction" by a. kabatek? the translation was done by maurice jacobi, professor of zither at the philadelphia conservatory of music. this is one of those museum pieces.

kabatek prefers the use of familiar melodies, darr, a composer in his own right, does not.

kabetek brings in a lot of music theory for the complete beginner, does bring in c/g/d, but also frequents f/bflat/eflat. darr seems to stick with c/g/d/f and brings in some theory later in the book.

kabatek uses bass clef for accompaniment, and initially, has the student tune only those strings pertinent to the lesson. the second and third positions are used after about page 20, and yes, he does suggest resting the pinky on the bridge.

rudy

if anyone is interested, i could get a copy and loan it for inspection, for mail costs.
jbug_zither

Post by jbug_zither »

I have done some of the translation with my broken German and a German-English dictionary (I had the same results using the online translator... ). It is like most beginner's books. Heribert, the Daddy Long Legs, goes over an explanation of the basic fingering. I think Anne and Tomy are working on some translations, but it is not important. The questions I have are beyond what 'Heribert' is explaining :).

Rudy, thanks for the tip about Melbourne - I will see if they have connections to any players in the area.

Dave - do you have any information about the upcoming workshop? With working, I need to plan ahead...

I know there are zither players in New York. Someone should be able to provide you with a possible contact :)
jbug_zither

Post by jbug_zither »

Dave - I just read your posting about the workshop in April. I will see if I can work it into my schedule!
jbug_zither

Post by jbug_zither »

Rudy -the only Schwarzer listed now is in Evansville, IN... Maybe they pulled their listing :cry: