What does DARR mean

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Musicmaker

What does DARR mean

Post by Musicmaker »

I assume DARR is a zither method?
Can someone enlighten me please?
Pete
Musicmaker

Re: What does DARR mean

Post by Musicmaker »

Is the above link book number KG 1001 the Zither method that members are referring to ?
Pete
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Pete - unless someone owns the KG1001 in the reference, and can look inside, there's no way we can tell if that's the one most forum members are talking about.

The one I use is "A. Darr Method for Zither", in English and German. Published by Carl Fischer in 1950, and printed many times since.

This looks like the edition I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Method-zither-Al ... B0007HJ5DY

That price is way too high; you can find it around US15 in other locations.

There was also the "A. Darr New and Complete Instruction Book for the Zither", translated from the German by George Swainson, published by Hoenes in Trier. I've got a copy, which dates to around 1900; it's slightly longer than the Carl Fischer book, and includes a few more exercises. Darr was quite a zitherist in his day, so there are various "Darr" methods and collections floating around.

Tom M.
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

NutmegCT wrote:Hi Pete - unless someone owns the KG1001 in the reference, and can look inside, there's no way we can tell if that's the one most forum members are talking about.

The one I use is "A. Darr Method for Zither", in English and German. Published by Carl Fischer in 1950, and printed many times since.

This looks like the edition I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Method-zither-Al ... B0007HJ5DY

That price is way too high; you can find it around US15 in other locations.

There was also the "A. Darr New and Complete Instruction Book for the Zither", translated from the German by George Swainson, published by Hoenes in Trier. I've got a copy, which dates to around 1900; it's slightly longer than the Carl Fischer book, and includes a few more exercises. Darr was quite a zitherist in his day, so there are various "Darr" methods and collections floating around.

Tom M.
Thank you Tom.
Unfortunately I live in Australia and that holds its price with regard to postage costs.
It is impossible to get anything cheap here because we get thrashed for postage.
I have ordered a Darr method for Zither from Amazon published by Carl Fischer in 1950 ...the isbn no ends in 2379 so i hope it is the right one.
It cost £27 inclusive of postage.
I will not have to pay a teacher as they are so scarce and geographically impossible so the content of the Darr book is worth every penny.
Thank you for making it clearer.
Pete