Im Heimgarten

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Rudy Mueller

Im Heimgarten

Post by Rudy Mueller »

It is easy for the beginning musician to "hit the doldrums" and risk losing interest after some basic lessons have been mastered

Hans Dondl's three volume series "Im Heimgarten" is an excellent supplement for the beginner and intermediate beginner, who may be getting bored by the lessons in their "method for zither" instruction books, and desire to broaden their repertoire. The delightful landler, waltz, polka and march melodies are arranged in rough order of increasing difficulty, from basic to intermediate, within each volume. For the instructor, these could probably be considered "extra credit" material.

The three worth-while books are available on e-bay.de, both new, and some used, at reasonable cost.

Rudi Mueller
Musicmaker

Re: Im Heimgarten

Post by Musicmaker »

Rudi,
I am brand new to the forum and also to Zithers.
I am still waiting for mine to arrive but by using this fabulous forum i have downloaded and printed out a huge Zither Tutor.
I have no instructors but like other instruments i play, i learn alone, when stuck i ask someone.
The Heimgarten books look to be an excellent release from the hard grindstone tutor methods.
There is a Musikhaus in Hamburg that stocks these books.
Luckily, my daughter lives and works in Hamburg and will get me Band1 and send it to me in Australia.
Thank you for sharing that.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Coincidence? I received mine from our daughter living near Mainz, who we just visited. Her son spent last September to March in a work/study program in Australia and New Zealand. German high schools tend to recommend some time out before starting the university.

All kinds of zither "stuff" on ebay.de when using "zither" as the search word.

Isn't there a zither teacher somewhere in Australia?

Rudi
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Rudy Mueller wrote:Coincidence? I received mine from our daughter living near Mainz, who we just visited. Her son spent last September to March in a work/study program in Australia and New Zealand. German high schools tend to recommend some time out before starting the university.

All kinds of zither "stuff" on ebay.de when using "zither" as the search word.

Isn't there a zither teacher somewhere in Australia?

Rudi
Yes, there is Isle but she is in Sydney.
I am in contacr with her and also bought one of her starter books.
I watch her videos too.
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Rudi.
My daughter has informed me that " Im Heimgarten " Band 1 ist unterwegs !
I am so excited as i simply love the old German folk tunes.
May i ask you dear Sir if you would post some renditions of your playing?
I would love to hear you play?
Kindly
Pete
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Rudi, I agree with you! Dondl is a very good choice. I also enjoyed the folk songs in Adalbert Abrecht's books. These are in a 3-volume series as well.

Best,

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Well i have waited for weeks now.
It must be lost in post.
Can any one help me to get a copy of Dondl's Im Heimgarten band 1?
I have seen some for sale in Germany but their fee for postage to Australia is a massive £40 which is robbery.
Can this book be downloaded for a price or is it copyright?
I dont mind paying reasonable sums of money but draw the line at getting robbed.
Any ideas please?
Pete
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

I'm sure it's copyrighted, although most of the melodies are old, old folk songs. Would these be covered by German copyright?? Ironically, one of the pieces in Heimgarten I (Tanzende Morellen) is lifted right out of Darr. Is it also an old, old folksong???

Rudi
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Pete, the "Im Heimgarten" books (there are three in the series) are available at notenbuch.de. Shipping to Australia for one book looks to be ~7 Euros. I have *never* had an issue ordering from this site. Here's the direct link:

https://www.notenbuch.de/Search.html?se ... heimgarten
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Dave Thanks.
Are the three graded in order of difficulty?
I have not heard anything re Zither rings yet!
Pete