July 25, 2018

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Musicmaker

Re: July 25, 2018

Post by Musicmaker »

Dear Tom.
I hasten to add........
If you can get that bastard mastered then brilliant...BUT
...it is a different ball game playing the melody AND swapping chords!
Oh what fun!
Keep at it fellah!
Pete
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey Tom,

I was actually trying to show that I was using rest strokes in the video. Each time I pause I’m tugging gently on the strings that my fingers are resting on.

My understanding is that “rest stroke” refers to the string your finger comes to a rest on after playing. For example, after playing bass C finger 4 comes to a rest on bass F.

Now in the situation where you are playing accompaniment chords, you are meant to play all of the notes at the same time, which means the C Major chord actually has 2 rest strokes. Finger 3 plays E and comes to a rest on A, Finger 2 plays G and C in one motion and comes to a rest on F. If I’m using the term incorrectly please let me know!

As for my elbows, they are usually slightly above so that my forearms can slope down slightly. For me it makes playing the fretboard much more comfortable. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what angle and height were comfortable for me. My mother tells me that my Great Grandfather played it parallel to his body as if it were a keyboard. I can’t even imagine.

- Andy
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Hello Andy.
I know this is Tom's question but now I have taken several double takes of your video, the qusetion applies to me as well now.
As I have stated in my video, I personally cannot do these rest strokes with 2nd and 3rd fingers.
I do them with the 4th only on the bass strings.
I find it especially impossible to do rest strokes with 2nd and 3rd fingers AND play any melody.
My question is.....
Do I go back to the drawing board until I can do this or is the way I am doing it acceptable?
I thought it was all to do with comfort of playing, however there seems to be an underlying technique that I have not grasped and may need to master before I trundle onwards?
Pete
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey Pete,

For me it was the concept that helped bring some sanity to the free strings. It gives you an awareness of where your fingers are and where they are going. Once you have that type of anchor your right hand can walk on its own and your eyes can roam.

When I’m working on chord drills, I’ll try to over exaggerate the rest, strumming the strings and pulling, but not playing, the rest string. It’s a good way to check that your playing the correct strings.

Hope that helps!
- Andy
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Thanks Andy.
I will make a concious effort now to try and do it.
I will have to ban melody for the time being and concentrate on what you have demonstrated.
Onwards through the fog .
Whoa is me!
Pete
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Hi Andy.
Guess what?
I am practicing as per your video and I am actually making progress.
Not so impossible when I get determined enough.
It really does give me a sort of anchor.
I am also learning to play the bass string with 4th and fifth fingers a la Dave.
This gives a more powerful bass note to the chord and keeps the fifth finger out of the way whilst actually using it.
Thank you so much for a brilliant video.
What I find really mind teasing with regard to mind/ hand co ordination is th strike the melody note And execute the rest or anchor stroke with the 2nd and 3rd fingers.
If you can possibly do a vid of this it will be greatly appreciated.
Once I see it done then my mind believes it is possible and the determination part of my brain kicks in!
Pete
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Tom mate!
Where are you?
Does this all help?
Sorry I am an intruder with your questions but I find Andy's video so informative.
Very kind regards matey!
Pete