Pete's 2nd learning video

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Musicmaker

Pete's 2nd learning video

Post by Musicmaker »

Hallo all.
This is what i am doing so far.
I am still practicing Darr 2 but find the urge to experiment and try to play the right hand on auto pilot more important. When i can do it properly i will go back to Darr exercises.
All comments to further progression welcome.
Pete
https://youtu.be/-O6vkdGm2LI
NutmegCT

Re: Pete's 2nd learning video

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Pete - first off, your zither has an amazingly "bright" sound to me. I wonder if that's typical of Framus instruments.

Congratulations on mixing multi-finger left hand with multi-finger right hand. That is a challenge I have yet to confront. Only thing I notice (based on my very thin experience) is that many zitherists say to keep right hand fourth finger on the adjoining string after playing (i.e. use "rest stroke"). Your 4th finger seems to be rising up often after playing, and moving toward fingers 2 and 3. Actually, I think the rule is keep *all* accompaniment and bass fingers on the adjoining string after playing.

Onward!
Tom M.
Musicmaker

Re: Pete's 2nd learning video

Post by Musicmaker »

Hi Tom and thank you.
I do not know if the bright tone is typical of Framus but i do know they made nice and crisp sounding guitars.
My table makes the world of difference and that is why i spoke about it at length in other posts.
Personally i think it is essential to have a good and dedicated table.
Re rest stroke. I did wonder what a rest stroke was but now i know.
Yes you are right. I should have been doing it.
I think i mentioned in the video that i was trying to do it but sometimes it slipped away.
Hopefully the emphasis in the vid was on repetion repitition and repetition again until the right hand knows what to do.
Thanks for your input Tom.
Onwards and upwards but most importantly, ENJOY.
Pete