Question about Treble vs Octave Clef

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Andy

Question about Treble vs Octave Clef

Post by Andy »

Afternoon everyone!

I’ve been scratching my head a bit over the alternating use of Treble and Octave clef in this book and was wondering if any of you could shed some light.

I had thought that the first measure in the first line would be played as: String 16 (C), String 5 (g), String 4 (c). But if that is the case, how is the first measure of the second line played? Perhaps I am not understand the idea of raising and lowering an octave correctly (my music theory is about as non-existent as my German) but it seems up or down, the notes would fall out of range.

Also, if I am using any of these phrases incorrectly please do let me know!

Thanks!
- Andy
Attachments
IMG_0329 (1).jpg
IMG_0329 (1).jpg (395.33 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Andy

Re: Question about Treble vs Octave Clef

Post by Andy »

Think I may have stumbled on the answer to my own question, is the Octave clef only written at the beginning of the piece and is just assumed to be there for the rest, seems to be a theme in the book!
NutmegCT

Re: Question about Treble vs Octave Clef

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Andy. In traditional classical music, the treble clef with the 8 below, indicates that the pitch of the notes is one octave below what's written. In other words, play one octave lower.

I don't know what book your example is from, but I doubt that the second staff accompaniment would be an octave lower than the first staff accompaniment! I looked in my Hintermeyer, Darr, Kabatek, and Schneider, and didn't find any examples like you show, so it's likely a typo.

By the way, I just sent you a PM.

Hope this helps.
Tom M.