concerning teachers....

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Rudy Mueller

concerning teachers....

Post by Rudy Mueller » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:45 pm

One of our local players ( if Kurt is # 10-15 [...as Ludwig says], this guy is definitely # 25-30) recently took a lesson from a world renowned zitherist from Germany at a Midwest congress. After he presented his opening background piece, the expert said " that is a most wonderful and beautiful piece of music.....but not the way you played it......

...Schmaarn.

How does one encourage a student? Those that can, do. Those that cannot, teach.

rudi

......Whew it's hot in here .....I'll have to dig out this classic rebuttal, (as I recall; from Fun Fare, Reader's Digest, 1950???) by Heifitz

Rudy Mueller

Re: concerning teachers....

Post by Rudy Mueller » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm

In today's New York Times (electronic) there is an editorial by dam Grant entitled "Those who can do, can't teach"!

I rest my case.

rudi

Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:05 pm

ooops. that's Adam Grant!

velocio

Post by velocio » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:11 am

Meant to post this for some time, already. When I decided to learn to play the Zither (as a “retirement project”, seven years ago) the first teacher I found (in Germany) received me with the words (seriously frowning) “I don’t understand what you want - it makes no sense! It takes 20 years to learn to play the Zither appropriately, und you are way too old for it: if I would explain something, you would have forgotten about it by the time you get home!” (and so on).
Needless to say, he couldn’t get rid of me so easily; since then, we befriended each other and often laughed about this first encounter.
He just wanted to avoid wasting his time with students who are not sufficiently self-motivated, and he wanted to avoid them the experience of getting discouraged and failing, for lack of determination...

NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:33 am

Velocio - thank you!

So you've been learning zither for only seven years. Bravo! And you're very lucky to have a real zither teacher!

Were/are you traveling to Germany for your lessons?

Could you tell us how exactly you started? did you use a "zither method" book? What exercises and examples did your teacher give you when you first started?

Your teacher's statement "It takes 20 years ..." is a good way to test determination! But here's a zitherist who obviously hasn't studied for twenty years -

https://youtu.be/n2N5RXvzhrs

I think you're the first person on the forum to start later in life and actually have a teacher to work with. Self-motivation is the key. But motivation dies quickly when the student makes little progress and works alone. How about sharing a video of your playing at this stage?

Thanks!
Tom M.