Franz Schwarzer Concert Zither - Model 16

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

Dave

Franz Schwarzer Concert Zither - Model 16

Post by Dave »

Bill K., a reader of the web site, sent in this question regarding his grandfather's zither.

"After my grandfather passed away I found a zither buried under some lumber in his garage. It is in its original case, has a tuning tool, a couple of finger picks and is in pretty nice condition. I would like to know more about it. It has multiple strings as well as a five string fret board. The label inside says Vienna 1873 first prize. There is also what appears to be a signature on the inside visible with inspection mirror on the side wall. I would be happy to send some pictures to you if it would help you identify it. Is it valuable and worth keeping in the family."

I have located some information on your grandfather's zither. His zither, serial number 6163 dates to 1895 and was sold out of New York by Theodore Lohr. Lohr was an authorized reseller of Schwarzer zithers in NYC.

You have a model #16 zither (sold by Theodore Lohr as a #12 in his catalog), which is essentially an entry level, 32 string concert zither. I'm attaching an early advertisement that provides some additional details on the model. Schwarzer also offered zithers in the $100+ range. These zithers featured exceptional inlay work, custom wood carvings, ivory handled brushes for cleaning, etc.

The label refers to his award at the 1873 Vienna Exposition. At the exposition he entered three of his zithers. His craftsmanship was recognized and he was award the “Gold Medal of Progress,” the highest award of the fair, for his entry.

You have a nice family heirloom and I hope it piqued your family's interest in the zither. Perhaps someone in your family will keep the tradition alive and learn how to play? :)
Attachments
Bill's grandfather's zither.
Bill's grandfather's zither.
schwarzer_model_12.jpg (256.7 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Schwarzer Concert Zither No. 12 Advertisement.
Schwarzer Concert Zither No. 12 Advertisement.
schwarzer_ad_12.jpg (210.4 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz