Jobst workshops

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

DanSymonds

Jobst workshops

Post by DanSymonds »

I wonder whether any fellow zitherists might have any information about how long the Jobst workshops were in operation in Graz. I have a number of antique zithers but my favorite is a small Jobst air resonance 21" (string length 15 1/4") which has an exceptional tone. This zither was probably made in the 1890's and has a street address of Sporgasse 27. I recently acquired a much larger Jobst which I am restoring. This zither is 27" long (string length 16 7/8"). This is also a quality instrument but appears to be of much later manufacture. It has a serial #1984 stamped on the mechanical plate, and from the appearance of the celluoid buttons appears to date from the 1930's or 40's, possibly even later. Street address is Sporgasse 18. I understand Johan Jobst died in 1924 but it appears his workshop continued after this date. I would be grateful for any additional information.
enslein

Re: Jobst workshops

Post by enslein »

Hello,if it is possible to you, please post some photos of this Instruments, than I could date the early Jobst Zither if you are interested in. About the Number 1984, this Instrument was built in Jobsts Death Year 1924. After his Death the Jobst Company went into a Music store without own Production.

The other Instrument was built before 1895, because in this year Jobst moved in the new Workshop in Sporgasse 18.

Best Regards from Austria
DanSymonds

Post by DanSymonds »

Dear friend.
Thank you so much for this valuable information! I have been able to find very little about Johann Jobst, so this is very helpful. THe earlier small instrument has a very loud and resonant griff. When I obtained it from Minnesota, it was covered with pigeon dung, so it has had a hard life. Fortunately I was able to bring it back. The large zither has very long bass strings (hard to find). I thought perhaps it might be a bass zither but the griff is too short for that. It is very high quality throughout. The mechanicals especially are notable for the quality and the cover plate is very thick and cast from silver or silverplated. It must have been specially made. This came from an estate in Philadelphia. I will attach some photos.
By the way, I have an old album with many exercises by Carl Enslein (published in Vienna). Perhaps a relative?
Thanks again and best wishes from the USA.
Dan Symonds
Attachments
JobstGrand.JPG
JobstGrand.JPG (960.59 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
Jobst.2.JPG
Jobst.2.JPG (366.01 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
enslein

Post by enslein »

Dear Dan,

Jobst was theme of my dissertation. If you are interested in, i could send it to you, but the whole work is in german language...
I guess the late Zither has a bottom made out of Birdseyemaple. It would fit to the Instrument. A very interesting detail is the swung nut.Normally this type of Zither only have straight nuts.

Jobsts mechanics are very massive, they are still made in Graz, maybe I will find out the company who produces the mechanics.

The early Zither in your property is a very early so called Luftresonanzzither. By the Style of this Instrument i would date it for the Year 1889, whitch is the inventing year of this zithertype. Very nice to see.

I´m generating a List of all zithers from Jobsts who are still existing today. Am I allowed to list your Instruments in there?

I don´t think that Enslein is a relative to me, its only a Nickname, but he is one of my favorite composers for Zither.

Best wishes
Andreas Voit
DanSymonds

Post by DanSymonds »

Andreas,
Thank you so much for your kind offer of the dissertation material on Jobst. Unfortunately, I do not have a reading knowledge of German. However, perhaps you could prepare an article on him and his work for Zither US. This would be most valuable.
Of course, you are most welcome to include these two examples in any list or publication. If you should require any additional photos or information, please let me know.
You are correct: the back of the large zither is a single sheet of birdseye maple veneer. A most unusal width I might add; this veneer is usually found in much narrower widths. Unfortunately, the underlying spruce substrate split and badly warped. I was able to repair it functionally.
All the best,
Dan Symonds
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Concerning the "Jobst Grand":

Is the Jobst Grand similar to the "Tony Godetz American Grand Harp Zither discussed under

Zither Makers and Models, page two of the index

and Schwarzer # 10833 discussed in the same section?

Apparently Tony Godetz emigrated out of Austria circa 1909. Anyone know any more about his home or birthplace?? Any connection to Jobst?

Rudi