Georg Tiefenbrunner - Zither

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

PatrickB

Georg Tiefenbrunner - Zither

Post by PatrickB »

Greetings from the UK. This is my first post to Zither.US and can I start by thanking those involved for maintaining and contributing to such an informative and user friendly website. I have recently acquired a cased Georg Tiefenbrunner zither number 22653. Apart from Dr. Joan Marie Bloderer's reference in her Zither.US article on “The Early Zither Makers of Mittenwald” in which she stated -

“Tiefenbrunner, Kiendl and Haslwanter zithers are among the acoustically finest ever made. A brief look at their early lives will show that they reached this excellence along very different paths ………Tiefenbrunner’s excellent zithers (and those of his son and grandson) are admired today not only for their sound, but also for their painstaking craftsmanship" I have, despite hours of internet research failed to find out very much more. Can anyone assist with the following questions and/or point me in the direction of further potential sources of information :-

A) Whilst Georg Tiefenbrunner commenced making zithers circa 1842 when did the company, presumably under his grandson, cease production?

B) Was it the Tiefenbrunner convention to use the date of production as an identifier? I have seen a couple of others where a 6 or 7 digit number is recorded and can be read as a dates.

IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG (197.9 KiB) Viewed 35882 times

The instrument is in very good condition with no cracks apart from a barely discernible 2 inch crack at the top of the fretboard which is either ebony or mahogany. The frets are level. The unusual knurled tuning discs and the spherical feet with steel spikes when subjected to ultra violet light and the needle test proved to be ivory. The tuning pins are rectangular with a left handed thread. Documents with the zither included an undated, cloth covered hardback 14th Edition of A Carr’s Instruction Book, various sheet music and zither related publicity material, all undated but either Munich or Leipzig in origin. Some bear the autograph of Ethel M. Brown in copperplate handwriting, possibly the first owner of the zither. The case is of dovetailed wooden construction and may at one time have been covered with some sort of fabric.

IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG (170.72 KiB) Viewed 35882 times

Taking all this together suggests it may well be a 19th century instrument and despite the age of the strings which I'll probably replace, it sounds in terms of clarity and tone absolutely beautiful. I'd love to know more about the Tiefenbrunner dynasty and the thoughts anyone has regarding the instrument.
Rudy Mueller

Re: Georg Tiefenbrunner - Zither

Post by Rudy Mueller »

PRICELESS!

Please, please, don't touch anything until you have the opinions of more than one "expert".

If their opinion and yours agree, THINK (act slowly) about replacing the strings. This might be better done by a luthier or the next owner.

Save everything. If you feel MUST replace the strings (and the 'experts" agree), carefully preserve the old ones. You might want to review my anecdotal tale of "Uncle Georg" tuning up his "long-stored" zither, and the bottom dropping off, found elsewhere on his site.

Any tuner wrenches, rings, etc. included? These may be of historical significance.

The Darr book is a treasure.

rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

What does the back look like?

da oida
PatrickB

Post by PatrickB »

Thank you Rudy for your comments and advice. At the age of 85 I think and act very slowly at the best of times!
Here is a photograph of the back of the zither and the tuning wrench accompanying the instrument. The wooden handle is certainly turned mahogany. With the zither was an incredibly small and somewhat rusty thumb ring, an incomplete pack of wire strings made by a company in South Wales possibly in the 1920s and a bobbin (reel) of thin string wire.

IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG (256.8 KiB) Viewed 35872 times
Regards
Patrick