Fingerboard length

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

fink

Fingerboard length

Post by fink »

Hello,
I am starting up to learn the concert zither again. I have a couple of zithers and am not sure which one to use. They have different lengths of the fingerboard by about 3/4 to 1 inch. As I have short fingers, maybe I should use the shorter one? Not sure if that matters because the open strings are the same. Is the shorter fingerboard made for children? Also, curious to know what an Alt (old) Zither is, or an Alto Zither? Are they the same?
Thanks for any response,
liz
Rudy Mueller

Re: Fingerboard length

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Getting started? My favorite is a quite small Meinel und Herold. Love the sound; even Ludwig agrees. Move those fingers as little as possible!....and less of a bite when replacing strings.

The climate right now is crazy in North America. Depending where you are, don't forget to keep the humidity controlled. It only takes a few seconds to refill the humidifier, but if you forget, it's ten minutes with the tuner.

If you're just starting your journey, consider the instruction manual of Kabatek and the first pages of Keyes, both available on this site.

rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Regrets about the humidity comments. I did not realize your location until too late. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.

rudi
fink

Post by fink »

Rudi, Thank you for the leads and pointing me in a direction. The truth is that I have several zithers and am in the process of determining what one or which ones to keep. I have learned quite a lot on this website and find there is always more to learn.
liz