Can guitar strings be used for the zither fretboard

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Jose

Can guitar strings be used for the zither fretboard

Post by Jose »

Hello All
I have here a newbie question who has as bought an old zither with metal strings on the fretboard.
My plan is to wait until my playing has improved enough that it makes it worth spending 230 euros for replacing all the strings.
So far I am playing C scale up and down trying to get the zither (me) sounding right and sometimes I also play some simple melodies.
The only thing bothering me are the metal strings which are very tough on my fingers.
I would like to know if someone has tried to use nylon guitar strings .
Is it possible ?
If yes how can it be done ?
I know the strings notes are not the same but it seems to me that the following could work.
I did some calculations and here is what I would like to try:
C3 zither replaced by E2 guitar (length reduced from 65cm to 43.65cm and increasing by 1 half tone tension to get a C3)
G3 zither replaced by A2 guitar (length reduced from 65cm to 43.65cm and decreasing by 3 half tone tension to get a G3)
D4 zither replaced by G3 guitar(length reduced from 65cm to 43.65cm and same tension as on guitar to get a D4)
A4 zither replaced by E4 guitar(length reduced from 65cm to 43.65cm and decreasing by 2 half tone tension to get an A4)
A4 zither replaced by E4 guitar(length reduced from 65cm to 43.65cm and decreasing by 2 half tone tension to get an A4)
Thanks in advance for your answer.
Rgds
Jose - South West of France
Carmen

Re: Can guitar strings be used for the zither fretboard

Post by Carmen »

Dear Jose,
you can always start with replacing only the fretboard strings. The shippment to France is only 3,90€ and the strings are less than 17€.
I prefere LENZNER Soloklang strings. You actually can order them from Musikhaus Sedlmeyr, they do ship to France.
I'd be happy to help.

https://www.musikhaus-sedlmeyr.de/shop/5510S.html
happy zithering,
Carmen
University trained Zither teacher

carmenamrein@yahoo.de
Discover the magic of playing Zither free FB group: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=D ... g%20Zither
carmen-amrein.de
zithermagic.com
Jose

Post by Jose »

Thank you for your answer Carmen.
I have been studying the physics of the strings and found that theoretically guitar strings can be used to replace the zither strings of the fretboard.
Thanks to this study I have found that on the old zither I bought the A steel strings has 0.6mm diameter resulting in very high tension (33Kg !!!)
I have read in this forum that the tension of zither strings is 30 pounds =13.6Kg.
If this is true 33Kg is above twice the 13.6Kg because the 0.6mm steel string has a too big diameter.
Now I am a little bit disappointed with the replacement set you recommend because because they do not indicate the diameter of the strings and I cannot calculate the tension and see how it compares to what I have now.
What I have done to reduce the tension instantly is to tune down by 3 half tones the fretboard strings.
Now the A 440Hz 0.6mm steel strings have a tension of 23.4 Kg , compared to 33Kg before and the other strings have also a lower tension.
Much much easier to play now :) , even if the fretboard scale patterns have changed a little bit.
I think I'll change all my old string with fresh guitar strings I have calculated and predicted they will work.
This will be a validation of my calculations :)
Then, if the sound is not good enough I'll follow your advise :)
Best Regards
José
PS: I am stil more an engineer than a musician :) :)
Jose

Post by Jose »

For information, I have both tested Bergfee strings (string tension is calculated to be around 30 lb) and I also tested guitar strings ( string tension calculated to be around 12 lb)
Bergfee strings were tough for my left hand fingers so I decided to go extremely low tension (12 lb) using guitar strings I calculated the gauge accordingly
The tension is so low that I have to take care of the pressure I put on the strings for not altering too much the note frequency.
>>Note added on may 24th: I made a mistake in my calculations and the gauge was not high enough for the C and G strings. I fixed the error, changed the >>C and G strings and now everything is working great. What is very important to have is the linear mass of the string to calculate the right tension value.
>>The string maker DADDARIO is providing a technical document in pdf format (you can google it easily) giving the linear mass of each string reference >>they sell.
>>End of note added.
I plan to continue training myself with the 12 lb set of strings in order to get used to the location of the notes on the fretboard and then switch to an intermediate tension (20 lb ?) and may be go back to the Bergfee strings.
The sound quality of the 12 lb is not top notch compared to what I got with the Bergfee strings but learning to play is much much easier.
Hope this information will be useful for someone.
Rgds
José
Last edited by Jose on Tue May 24, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

I guess that my many decades as a Schuhplattler, and a few years as Wendlstoana Vorplattler, have de-sensitized my fingers to the 'a' griff strings.

Concerning the price of strings: For fellow Americans, I'd ask...how much is your monthly cable bill...I'd rather pay to entertain (even myself, and keep the neurons moving) than to be entertained....and NOT worry about cerebral protein plaque buildup from lack of exercise and watching to much TV.

The literature is rife with exhortations for all to exercise more, and learn an instrument. Keep'er movin'**...and... Zither please!

Rudi, da oida

** "keep'er movin' is pure central-east Wisconsin dialect...if you'd like a few laughs at our expense, check out " Manitowoc Minute" on the net.