Bohemian zither music?

What songs are you playing now? Do you have a question or comment on playing techniques?

Moderator: Dave

Graham

Bohemian zither music?

Post by Graham »

Does anyone have, or know where I could find, collections of Bohemian zither music?

For instance, Blechinger J. "Potpourri uber bohmisches Nationallieder"
Dietrich, A "Melodienbuch Heft 1 (und 2..) Volkslieder Bohmens"
Vetter, Carl, "Erinnerung an Bohmen - Potpourri uber Bohmisches Nationallieder"

These were all published by J. Hoffmann in Prague, circa 1912. I am interested in anything along these lines.

Everyone assumes that the zither is a Bavarian /Austrian, Alpine instrument, whereas it was developed just as much in Bohemia and Saxony. There is also a strong tradition in Slovenia.

Frantisek Schwarzer was himself from Olmutz in Moravia, and the "Luftresonanze zither" was first developed and patented in Luby, on the Saxon Bohemian border. Dvorzak's father was a noted zither player, and composed some pieces for it. A. Kabatek was also Bohemian, hence his use of Bohemian folksong tunes in his Zither Method.
Dave

Re: Bohemian zither music?

Post by Dave »

Hi Graham,

Have you checked the sheet music archive on the Zither US web site? There may be some selections of interest for you there. I see 3 pieces by Julius Blechinger. (SM-0426 has a dedication that reads "Erinnerung an Sanct Maurenzen im Böhmerwald.")

https://www.zither.us/vintage.zither.music.project

There's also an arrangement of the traditional piece "Tief im Böhmerwald" (SM-0186) which is quite nice. Andreas Erber, an exceptional talent with the instrument, has a recording of this posted on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsAAwTS5pf4
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thank you Dave!

I hadn't spotted the Blechinger pieces in the list. I have "Tief" already.

Also on there is "Kde Domov Muj", listed as a Bohemian folksong. It was actually composed for for a musical play, and is now no less than the Czech National Anthem!
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

There is a folksong "aus Böhmen kommt die Musik"....music came from Bohemia...starts off with "Adam, der sprach nach sieben Tagen"...roughly translated....after seven days I must say, Master, I think you forgot the most important....

rudi