Another Newbie

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

CapeGuy

Another Newbie

Post by CapeGuy »

Hello all

I just purchased a (very) used Franz Schwarzer concert zither at an antique store up here on Cape Cod yesterday. Pretty excited although I am quickly realizing I could have probably found one in better shape. I play a variety of instruments, know some theory but have ZERO experience with a zither. Having said that I have a few questions. First here is what I know about this Zither...

- serial #5595 which I think puts it pre-1900?
- Large "repaired" crack that spans both sides of sound hole
- 5 tuning pegs work, neck strings tuned properly (the strings are ancient!)
- 30 "open" strings, I think this thing was stringed improperly. (1st tuning peg string goes to second post, 2nd to third post, etc.). No "red" strings, I suspect some of the gauges are wrong too. I've tested turning each peg and they all turn, thankfully.

I guess my main question is strings: Given the crack I'm thinking maybe nylon? Bergfee green? Any other recomendations? These seem extremely hard to come by. I would only change out a few at a time, I think I read somewhere beginners don't even use the bass and contra bass strings until further down the road. But obviously I'd like a full set on hand. I did email Anne which I read to do one here somewhere!

I's a guitar thumbpick acceptable or should I buy a ring?

Looking forward to digging in but I know I need to be patient with setting it up right. Hopefully it isn't a pile of junk. It seems decent, "playable". (Again no zither exp. but played guitars for decades).

Probably have more questions that I'll post as they come, and a photo once I get it to a URL. Glad to be here!
CapeGuy

Re: Another Newbie

Post by CapeGuy »

Here's the Zither
Attachments
IMG_6730.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG (663.33 KiB) Viewed 46341 times
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Hi,

Welcome to zitherville. I too am a guitarist and have been playing zither for decades. Getting Bergfe green strings for your instrument is definitely the right thing to do. ither strings are very specific and not ike most other plucked instrument strings. they are designed to sound good at their assigned pitches over the rather short lengths that the zither has. You will want to get that crack repaired by a competent luthier. Cracks like you describe are fairly common on these instruments. the one you have is an excellent one to start with and a bit easier to manage than some the more modern ones since the string spacing on the bass and accompanient strings is just a bit wider. Do get some proper zither rings. they sound so much better than the thumb pick you would use on guitar. I use #2 or #3. the sound has much more clarity. Plastic thumb picks have a dull sound and don't really bring out the character of the zither.
I have tried a number of tunings but the most popular one I have found to be the most useful AADGC for teh fingerboard and starting with Eb and going around the cycle of fifths for the accompaniment and basses. Contras I start with low F and go down chromatically. If you have more questions feel free to ask. You can either post it here or you can write me directly at kbloom1@triad.rr.com. Happy zithering!!

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Thanks Ken,

Replace strings as you need them.: strings are a bite.

Bergfee grünn are my choice also. some local dealer's don't prefer to handle hem, so I'm trying direct. Let you know how it goes. I've been silent for a while....grand-kids a here,,,,

Rudi, da oida Opa
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

By the waY.......

THAT Schwarzer IS A BEAUY!!!!!!....

rudu
CapeGuy

Post by CapeGuy »

Thanks for the reply Ken!

I hopefully have some Bergfee Greens and a ring in the works. Until then I basically just stare at it (although I do have the griffbrett strings tuned up). I also called a Luthier today who happens to live right in my town, not sure he'll want to delve into a zither but waiting for a call back.

Wow, I would never have guessed my string spacing is wide...seems narrow to me but this is the only zither I've ever held or touched lol. Compared to guitar and pedal steel guitar (which I play), its narrow!

I plan on using the Munich tuning as you recommend. I can see the double a making some nice sus chords etc. and I "get" the circle of fifths. Playing the darn thing will be another question entirely!
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

The most challenging thing for me when I started was doing a major chord on the accompaniment strings. Getting the hang of strumming two adjacent strings with my index finger while at the same time playing a single one with my middle finger took a while. Then I had to learn that in reverse for a minor chord. Getting down the rest stroke for the basses wasn't hard but it took a while to build up the callus to be able to do it fro any length of time. While you are learning this, keep a sharp eye on the little finger of the right hand. There is a tendency to let it curl up but keep t extended and relaxed. You're going to need it for alternate basses and to get the contra basses. It's taken my a long time to break that bad habit as I couldn't find a teacher for quite a long time and the Darr book was the only thing available for info at the time. Hope this helps.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Check out Kabatek.

German American Day here this weekend in Stone Bank WI.....

Rudi, da oida
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Servus!

Welcome to the world of playing the Zither! It's a big beautiful one.

As my former zither fellows said, strings are a big discussion and everyone tends to have another favourite. Anyway, I prefere Lenzner strings on my Wünsche Zither, but Bergfee are good as well.
Having a Zithering that stays on your thumb and works is the one big deal you need to get! Nothing worse than having a ring which is loose or cuts off your blood.

If you need help to purchase strings or/and rings and are searching for lessons or an online course, or a simple good working study book, just drop a line to: carmenamrein@yahoo.de

I am a Munich based University trained Zither teacher, and would be happy to help. I also offer monthly Zither Zoom Groupsessions and am discussing some Zither basics in each session, next to learning a new tune each time.

Have a lovely time exploring your instrument.
Happy zithering,
Carmen
happy zithering,
Carmen
University trained Zither teacher

carmenamrein@yahoo.de
Discover the magic of playing Zither free FB group: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=D ... g%20Zither
carmen-amrein.de
zithermagic.com
CapeGuy

Post by CapeGuy »

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. So anxious to get started (still waiting on strings). I did get a ring so I can cross that off the list! I may contact some of you via email for other questions but will post them here too.

Thx again for the early assistance!