Newbie post

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Stevetuc

Newbie post

Post by Stevetuc »

Hi all

I'm new to the Zither. I am a Classical Guitarist with a longstanding interest in the Concert Zither since watching the opening sequences of the Third Man many years ago.

I have acquired a 1907 Kochendorfer Zither which I have recently restored and I'm starting to learn to play using the Darr method and others from your site.
I've added some pictures below including a handwritten label from inside instrument that shows the maker as Paul Kochendorfer (the son of A.F.) and dated 1907

The instrument has 5+37 strings. I'm no stranger to multistring instruments as this picture of my Altoguitar will attest:

But 42 strings... :shock:

I have strung the instrument in Munich tuning but have replaced the Eb, F, D, E and C# basses with contrabass lower octave strings, Vienna style as this makes them easier to reach! Easy to change later, and probably will be some while before it matters!!

All the best
Steve T
Stevetuc

Re: Newbie post

Post by Stevetuc »

Just wondering...anybody there? ;)
Andy

Post by Andy »

*Wave*

Indeed! Welcome Steve! You've found yourself a very nice looking Zither. How are you finding it so far? There are a lot of resources to be found in the forum. Id definitely recommend checking out some of the Method books (Keyes Scales is a must).

- Andy
Kennethpauls

Post by Kennethpauls »

Congratulations Steve, that is a pretty instrument you’ve revitalized. I like the Daar Method, it’s been tried and true for over a century. I can only say that paying attention to proper finger positions and posture of both hands while playing is oh so important- it’s never easy to change back later. You’ll notice youtube musicians with good technique. It looks professional, it is more elegant and uses less energy ( doesnt it seem sometimes that the players’ right hand is hardly moving? I find that impressive).
Good luck and welcome to our small community.
KP
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

The information available on this site may be overwhelming. Yes, Darr is an excellent overall guide to lead you through your journey, probably the best for the "long haul".

Keyes is great....but initially download and print out the first 6-10 pages of Keyes, and more as you feel the need. Don't get hung up on not being able to play all of the exercises at the speeds indicated...unless you intend to perform with eastern zone chromatic accordionists....

... and initially don't get too hung up on having the entire instrument in "perfect tune"....do a general tune as needed (every few days ???) , and then as a beginner, daily tune up the strings you'll need for the next exercise. In times past, playing 1-2 hour sessions with a friend, he would spend about the first 20-30 minutes tuning....meh! Watch the humidity.

"Daily???. A musical instrument is like a Significant Other....you have to share quality time every day....if you put the instrument away in a box and a closet after practice, you will forget....

Getting the left hand melody and right hand accompaniment in sync is a mountain to overcome, and wipes out many zither students. I found the initial exercises of Kabatek valuable to surmount this obstacle, perhaps more helpful than Darr. Kabatek is also available on this site.

...an electronic tuner, and a reasonable, inexpensive, metronome will help you along...

Good Zithering,

Rudi
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a playable zither, so you've passed that initial hurdle for those wanting to learn. :) In case you're not aware, there is a large number of zither selections on the web site, digitized and available to sink your fingers into.

https://www.zither.us/vintage.zither.music.project

Best wishes
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Stevetuc

Post by Stevetuc »

Thank you Dave, Rudy, Kenneth and Andy! Lots of good info in your posts and on this site.
I have downloaded the Kabatek and have access to a good electronic tuner and metronome.
For Android, I have found Pano Tuner and Universal Tuner to be useful. There is even a Zither Tuner app which handles both Munich and Vienna tunings!
I have purchased Eine Zithermelodie erobert die Welt from https://www.doblinger.at/en/Item/Eine-Z ... e-Welt.htm (more for interest at this stage, and I've always wanted to make an accurate guitar transcription..) it arrived without any duty issues from Austria, correctly treated as 0% vat. (Price 43,64€ exvat and 9€ shipping)
The included dvd is great as it views the Zither played from above and both hand positions very clear.
I think my Guitar playing helps somewhat, even though the fretboard strings are in reverse order and the hand approaches from the top instead of the rear. Bit of a brain-teaser! :shock:
All the best
Steve
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hi Steve,
welcome!

I used to always forget my tuner for teaching at the music school :? and then downloaded "gStrings". A free app in chromatic tuning.

Have you found a teacher yet? I am a university trained Zither teacher from Munich, Germany, creating a full Zither Online course right now. Hope to launch soon ;)
So far I created a free Facebook Zither Group, where I put up hints, maybe you want to have a look:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=D ... g%20Zither

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Also if you need any accessories! Such as strings, ring, tune book, aso.

My Monthly Zither Zoom Grouplesson will start on 5/29th, but you need some basics to join.

Have a lovely day,
Carmen
happy zithering,
Carmen
University trained Zither teacher

carmenamrein@yahoo.de
Discover the magic of playing Zither free FB group: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=D ... g%20Zither
carmen-amrein.de
zithermagic.com
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hello from England, Europe! I found coordination of the right hand a massive problem, until I had a sudden realization, an Epiphany, no less!

The thumb playing the melody is NOT moving independently from the fingers playing the accompaniment! Every time you push your thumb away from you to play a tune note, you also pull at least one accompanying string towards you, in a balanced, pinching movement, so "all" you have to do is get good at pinching in rythmn, and remember how wide a pinch. "Easy"!

I like Kabatek best, having tried Darr, Keyes and Cibula.

Good luck!