fixing strings to machine heads.

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Graham

fixing strings to machine heads.

Post by Graham »

What is the best way to fit melody strings onto a zither with "machine" heads? The heads I have are tapered, wider at the top, narrower at the bottom. Is there a special knot or knack for these? Or will the same method as for mandolin strings work?

I don't want to wreck any strings by rushing in, as after "Brexit" zither strings are even rarer than before...

Thanks for your help!
Rudy Mueller

Re: fixing strings to machine heads.

Post by Rudy Mueller »

I do this similar to my guitar, inserting the string though the hole in the pin, and leaving a ~ 1/4 " (<1 cm?) "tail" sticking out the other end. then, do one winding around BELOW the tail, crossing over an doing one winding ABOVE the tail, and crossing over again and doing the remaining windings below the "tail", leaving the string angled downward from the bridge toward the pin.

rudi
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

I do it just like I do on the guitar or other similar instruments. I leave about 1/4" sticking out from the hole in the post and then make sure there are at least two full turns around the post before the string begins to tighten up. Different people take different approaches. This has worked for me for steel and bronze strings. For the nylon strings like tha basses and accompaniment ones, I do a similar thing to what Rudi has outlined. I bring a longer tail through the hole and then have the windings press that tail to the tuning pin, thus helping to secoure the string and prevent slippage. YMMV.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

OOOPS. When winding from above the "tail" to below, I tuck the "tail" underneath the next (lower) winding, to keep the tail "tucked in", and everything nice and snug. no acupuncture please....

Sllpping pins???? there are other references to make them happy on this site, everything from a single hair to wood shavings.

and don't forget to PROPERLY humidify, at this time of winter...(our ante-podal friends don't have to be concerned at this time, but come July when we're sweating....it'll be your turn) check the humidity now and then

rudi