The Portable Zither Stand

What songs are you playing now? Do you have a question or comment on playing techniques?

Moderator: Dave

Kennethpauls

The Portable Zither Stand

Post by Kennethpauls »

I saw this Zither stand for sale on eBay.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zithertisch-Reso ... 565f6dec48
Has anyone purchased something similar, or in the US? Maybe one that folds into a carrying case. Im looking, but dont know what will work well.
This adds to the question: Who else plays/tried ti play the zither standing up?
KP
Rudy Mueller

Re: The Portable Zither Stand

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Kenneth Pauls,

Did you take a look at the "travelling zither table" under this site's "zither and resources" section?

I've been schlepping this pine model around for a couple of years now, and have found it convenient. This is probably revision 6 or 8; one is kept at our summer cottage, one in the music room (walnut), one in the trunk of our car, and the next model "in process" in either the shed or basement.

Next one will be of cedar to reduce the weight even more, with one or two other modifications. I'm especially fond of the contained note-stand.

Rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Jeff Palinek did his NBC/Dubuque performance "standing up" last December...but Jeff is at another level.
Kennethpauls

Post by Kennethpauls »

I saw that; impressive. And I see youtube videos of other players standing, with the stand tilted slightly away from them (for the audiences benefit, I assume?).
Dave

Post by Dave »

See the following link for several examples of zither tables. As advertised, they can be easily collapsed. The ones toward the bottom of the page can also be adjusted for playing while seated or standing. Regarding the table's surface, I believe a slight angle downward, away from the player, fulfills more of an ergonomic function.

http://www.zithertisch.de/tische/

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

All of these look very substantial and would probably sound ok. If you are building your own and you're are looking for legs that are adjustable, I have often adapted the legs on a photographic tripod to accomplish that feat. If you design it right, three legs actually work somewhat better than four as they are self adjusting no matter if the surface you are playing on is level or not. For one of my more portable tables, I determined a fixed height and used one adjustable leg for leveling purposes. I have done the same with my current perfekta table which has one adjustable leg to make it level no matter the floor or ground I'm playing on. If you make all three adjustable then you can raise or lower the entire appartus. The other benefit of using photographic tripod legs is weight. They are much lighter than anything made of hardwood.

Ken Bloom
Attachments
100_0439.jpg
100_0439.jpg (116.79 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
100_0434.jpg
100_0434.jpg (200.88 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
100_0438.jpg
100_0438.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
100_0440.jpg
100_0440.jpg (100.05 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
100_0441.jpg
100_0441.jpg (100.86 KiB) Viewed 2197 times