What are the two extra holes for on my zither?

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

joelgardner

What are the two extra holes for on my zither?

Post by joelgardner »

Hi All,

I have been searching the forums and cannot find this answer. There are 2 additional holes near the pins in my zither and many other zithers I can see online, but there is never anything attached to these holes, some have brass or steel linings, some like mine are just a hole that goes most of the way through the frame but not out the bottom veneer.

My theories so far include:
1. some kind of strap, but the location would position the instrument backwards
2. A music holder that may have originally been attach there.

someone please help me solve this mystery as I continue restoring this beautiful instrument.

It may be hard to see in this video, but the holes are located near the spindle side of the zither, just to the right of the tuning pins.
https://www.facebook.com/530700962/vide ... 808050841/
Last edited by joelgardner on Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks,

Joel
1930s F. A. Porter (Schmidt) 4/15 Statue of Liberty 4 Chord Zither
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy
NutmegCT

Re: What are the two extra holes for on my zither?

Post by NutmegCT »

Joel - could you please post a good close photo of the instrument? It's really tough to comment when we don't have a clear picture.'

There are several other of these "Lyre Harps" for sale on the 'net. Many seem to have a hole in a similar location. Note this one:

http://www.pickaway.press/fz/images/sch625sp.jpg

which is on this page:

http://www.pickaway.press/fz/cz.html
Tom M.
Last edited by NutmegCT on Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joelgardner

Post by joelgardner »

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to upload a photo. I went back and read the instructions and I think I've got it now.

The 2 holes in question are highlighted
20230802_183330.jpg
20230802_183330.jpg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 27498 times
Last edited by joelgardner on Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Joel
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy
joelgardner

Post by joelgardner »

Another example from Google images
Screenshot_20230802_183910_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230802_183910_Samsung Internet.jpg (350.34 KiB) Viewed 27497 times
Thanks,

Joel
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Considering where those holes are, and their relation to the player's position at the instrument, I'm thinking they were to support a simple music rack. Take a look at this page showing various patents:

https://www.zither.us/zither.patents

And the position of all the music stands in this video:

https://youtu.be/jtXHHr5BRfs

It's *possible* that few old photos exist showing a zither with music rack, as most people want to show their zither, not their music rack! Same applies to photos of people playing zither; you wouldn't use the rack when performing - just when practicing.

Just my two cents.
Tom M.
joelgardner

Post by joelgardner »

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the info, I had a chance last night to pour through all the links you shared on this post and found a wealth of details that I was missing. I am still not positive about the use of those holes, but a music holder would make sense. I asked around on the facebook groups this morning and will see if anyone has an old photo or, less likely, a surviving accessory. The fact that the accessory is not around, or in the pictures, tells me that it was probably not ornate, and the players did not find it useful in the long term.

I also found some more clues about the origins of my 4/15 zither. I am fascinated and sometimes overly focused on the provenance of the instruments I collect, and this one really has me scratching my head. The branding on it is from a company called F. A. Porter, patented in 1902. But my research has found nothing on that company or any other instruments made by them.
20230803_112429.jpg
20230803_112429.jpg (435.46 KiB) Viewed 27476 times
The clue you gave me about the Schmidt scroll and pillar instruments from the pickaway website was very helpful. The Schmidt zithers from the 1930s were often patriotic and liberty themed with eagles and what not. Mine has the statue of liberty in the top left.
20230802_124357.jpg
20230802_124357.jpg (655.54 KiB) Viewed 27476 times
I also found this photo of a Schmidt branded zither up for sale on ebay right now and the image of the statue and the cloud pattern behind are identical to mine.
Screenshot_20230802_132501_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230802_132501_Samsung Internet.jpg (812.43 KiB) Viewed 27476 times

I also noticed my sticker says "SOLD BY AGENTS ONLY", so here is my current theory, please tell me if any of these ideas do not fit with what you know -

My Zither, could have been made in the Schmidt factory in Chicago in the 1930s. At this point in history radio was taking over and home musicians were fading in popularity. Zither sales were also dropping in music stores as the depression hit the US. Like a lot of companies I wonder if Schmidt decided to look for alternate distribution channels by licensing the sale of their instruments under the names of less reputable door to door sales companies that were taking advantage of out of work men, having them buy the goods "wholesale" and try to make their money back selling them door to door. these companies would get their own sticker to not weaken the Schmidt brand. this would explain why I haven't found a record of an "F. A. Porter" music company or factory in Chicago.

I do see other F. A. porter branded instruments out there, like this one for sale at reverb right now, it is all just interesting to me.
https://reverb.com/item/31002748-vintag ... icago-1902

thank you again for all the information, i have lots more reading to do!
Last edited by joelgardner on Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Joel
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Meh! probably related to a note stand,

Nobody listens.

The picture posted here has multiple holes in the instrument,. but a working table has holes for all kinds of staff, tuning key...note stand..etc.

PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE, do not punch any holes into/through the structure of your zither. Build a good table out of "sound wood", alla cedar or your choice, build at least two, go forth...and drill away, on the table....

rudi, da oida
joelgardner

Post by joelgardner »

thanks for the input Rudy!

The larger holes are all for the tuning pins I just removed, it's the 2 smaller holes that i am curious about, there are identical holes in many other zither style instruments online so I suspect that they are factory added. Like you said, probably for a music holder of some kind.

I completely agree about not drilling custom holes in the instrument.
Thanks,

Joel
joelgardner

Post by joelgardner »

I think i finally found confirmation of what we were all thinking, this is from an ad on ebay for a zither that includes a "music holder".
365175576_10159573218655963_4954828111529660278_n.jpg
365175576_10159573218655963_4954828111529660278_n.jpg (492.87 KiB) Viewed 27451 times
Notice the wire thing leaning on the sheet music, i think we can take this as not only showing what the holes are for, but also what the original music holders would be shaped like so that I can reproduce it.

Thank you to everyone that helped solve the mystery!
Thanks,

Joel
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Well done Joel!

First time I've seen a photo of the actual music rack.

Good luck on your zither adventure. Hint: be patient - very very patient.

Tom M.