What’s this?

Is your zither in need of repair? Do you have questions on how to best maintain your zither, or have advice? Post your questions and advice here.

Moderator: Dave

velocio

What’s this?

Post by velocio »

By good fortune, I got hold of a Johann Haslwanter (1824-1884) zither, yesterday. It’s in need of serious restoration, of course, but I believe it’s worth the effort and I plan to report on the progress.
Meanwhile, I would like to know what this piece I found in the case (see attachment) is all about:
Attachments
C0C3CC67-8F11-4706-B141-84776EBCDBA8.jpeg
C0C3CC67-8F11-4706-B141-84776EBCDBA8.jpeg (786.3 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
NutmegCT

Re: What’s this?

Post by NutmegCT »

That's a mute (sordino) for stringed instruments, most likely violin or viola. It's usually ebony, and slides down onto the bridge under the strings, to "dampen" the bridge from vibrating. It cuts down on the vibrations hitting the sound box (the body), so the instrument emits less sound.

The old style is ebony; newer mutes are often made of rubber or steel with plastic bushings.

Tom M.
MisterKevster

Post by MisterKevster »

Hello from UK
I too have acquired a Haslwanter (1824-1884) zither....also in need of repair.
How did you eventually progress please??
velocio

Post by velocio »

Sorry about dropping the ball on the follow-up. The restoration went well, and I enjoy playing that little zither. The main problem is "real life" which prevents me from getting back to it, regularly enough. (I keep it at a place in the mountains, because that's where *I* want to be and where I want *the zither* to be - but ...?)
If you want to know more about its sound etc.: I believe that compared to my level of playing, the subtleties of sound (which also depend so much on the environment) are rather irrelevant. What counts is the personal satisfaction of playing!