Progress Video - Volkstümliche Zitherschule p24

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Andy

Progress Video - Volkstümliche Zitherschule p24

Post by Andy »

Afternoon everyone!

Been a few weeks, thought I would poke my head in and share where things are at. Moved through “Stad Stad” pretty quickly and am just about done with “Liserl Polka”; not quite ready to share that yet. Also, recently went out and purchased a wooden table that I could dedicate to the Zither. The acoustics are so much nicer than my old Ikea desk, it really surprised me how much of a difference it made.

https://youtu.be/MsMWCU39E0U

- Andy
Musicmaker

Re: Progress Video - Volkstümliche Zitherschule p24

Post by Musicmaker »

Thats really nice Andy.
I second " A good dedicated table helps a lot "
Pete
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Thanks Andy. source of Volkstümliche Zitherschule?

Rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

For the beginner, "Staad, Staad" is a mountain; get over it, and you're on your way.....

....but then there was the guy who said "I thought it was all downhill...but didn't realize I was standing on my head!" :D

Seriously though, congratulations!

rudi
Andy

Post by Andy »

Pete,
It really does. Even aside from the acoustics, just having a dedicated spot where I can just stop for a few minutes during the day encourages more practicing.

Rudi,
I have an old original print that I've been working out of, but the three workbooks are available online as PDFs at this point, pretty sure the books have been out of print for a long time. :D

http://imslp.org/wiki/Volkstümliche_Zit ... _Adalbert)

- Andy
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

The Volkstümliche Zither Schule is being reprinted.
I have a brand new copy from
NOTENBUCH.DE in Germany.
It is well reprinted with good thick pages and the soft cover is also thick and well made.
Re Stad Stad.
I find certain pieces that are supposed to be more challenging and later on in certain tutors easier than the initial exercises.
For instance, I find it incredibly hard to pick out the single accompaniament notes with fingers 2 and 3 than I do when I play them both together as one chord.
I like to also go to my Heimgarten vol1 and pick out a simple tune and try to sight read it melody only.
This gets me used to where the notes are and to look at the music notes and not at my hands.
It doesnt always work though and I have to cheat !
I then pray that the right hand goes into auto pilot.
Re table.
Yes.....even before my zither arrived, i spent considerable time and money on obtaining and reworking an old table to form a dedicated table.
It is vital in my opinion.
I leave my zither on it permanently so it is always in the same position. I cover it over with a thick bath towel when I cease playing it.
Pete
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

My experience is similar to Pete's, finding it easier to play all three accompaniment notes rather than picking out individual "accent" notes on thee open strings. When starting a new piece, I try to get the accompaniment down, then (as Pete says) puting it on auto-pilot when playing the melody line.

There are several opportunities to learn open string accent notes in the Heimgarten series, again in order of increasing difficulty.

Most instruction books (Darr,Kabatek etc) start the student off in the "first position (ring finger of the left hand on b on the a griff string. Watch out for those that start off in the higher (fourth?) position. One local student started off in the higher positions, then had an extremely difficult time playing anything in the first position...Silent Night, for example.

rudi
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey Rudi,

I’m curious, I’ve seen it mentioned several times about different hand positions on the griffbret, but I haven’t seen anything documented about it, how to switch between them or even when to use them. Can you elaborate more, or do you know where I could read up on it?

- Andy
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Kabatek starts the student off with a description of the "first" position on page 9, position of the left hand, and continues with "the positions (shifts) on the fingerboard" on page 19. The Kabatek instruction book can be downloaded from this site
( http://www.zither.us/files/kabatek_zither_method.pdf )

From page 19, "the fingerboard is divided into a number of positions to facilitate fingering" and continues on, describing the second, third etc. positions.

rudi