A very general apology to you all

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

Musicmaker

A very general apology to you all

Post by Musicmaker »

Dear Gentleman,
I would like to offer you all my apologies for everything that I have said which may be considered as rude or offensive.
I have tried and perhaps a liittle too hard to be accepted by you but maybe my attitude or humour is not understood or appreciated.
This forum is relatively small in comparrison.
I have written several posts in different categories and no replies.
If I am out of order, above myself or in some other way socially unacceptable then please tell me.
I would rather you were honest than to say nothing.
This is a forum to the good and benefit of keeping the Zither alive?
Have I got this right or wrong?
The fact is that I have had correspondance from Rudi, Tom, Andy, Ken, Dave and maybe one or two others.
I really value you posting your videos on your progress because that is what it is all about.
When I look at the forum post inputs it is Musicmaker, Musicmaker, Musicmaker posting all the time.
Why do i do it?
Because I love this instrument and what you guys are doing with it.
If you want me to Wrap up then please tell me .
Meanwhile I am somewhat hessitant now to post anything as I fear it is of no value to you.
We are but a mere handful so please try to face the facts and who we are dealing with.
In my estimation, about half a dozen.
I have not heard from an expert Zitherist yet!
Not a complaint but an observation.
Again,.....I apologise for any rudeness as that was not in any way intented.
Always longing to be your friend
Pete
From Downunder.
NutmegCT

Re: A very general apology to you all

Post by NutmegCT »

Good morning Pete!

Many of us have experienced a similar feeling. Where are the experienced zitherists on the forum?

As we've discussed before, maybe experienced zitherists either (1) don't know the forum exists, or (2) don't feel a need to use the forum.

So, one way to increase the participation is to ask zitherists you know about to take a look at the forum, and let them know that we beginners are hoping to learn from them.

You've been in contact with Ilse in Australia, and if you do a search here, you'll find there are other zitherists in Australia. When she wrote her forum article here, Lotte Landl was living in Sydney. Same for many countries. Contacting them via PM, email, or website (or clubs for zither, German music, German culture, etc.) might get more involvement of those with "experienced hands". And Ilse could probably tell you of other zitherists in Australia.

By the way, you need to post a video of your first learning steps too.

Tom M.
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Hi Pete,

No apologies necessary. We're all trying to play better. That is the point. I took up the zither back in the early 70's with no one to help or ask questions of. I had to figure it out myself from the Darr book and sheer stubbornness. If my experience can help someone else, I'm happy to contribute. We all do the best we can.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey Pete,

I don’t think your experience is based on attitude or humor as much as the reality of this space. There aren’t that many people left who play, and I would guess the few who remain are not haunting internet forums.

I tend to think of this place as a library where people come to share forgotten knowledge. I am grateful for the people who are here to contribute and compare notes with, but for the most part the authors have moved on and we are learning from history together.

- Andy
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

NutmegCT wrote:Good morning Pete!

Many of us have experienced a similar feeling. Where are the experienced zitherists on the forum?

As we've discussed before, maybe experienced zitherists either (1) don't know the forum exists, or (2) don't feel a need to use the forum.

So, one way to increase the participation is to ask zitherists you know about to take a look at the forum, and let them know that we beginners are hoping to learn from them.

You've been in contact with Ilse in Australia, and if you do a search here, you'll find there are other zitherists in Australia. When she wrote her forum article here, Lotte Landl was living in Sydney. Same for many countries. Contacting them via PM, email, or website (or clubs for zither, German music, German culture, etc.) might get more involvement of those with "experienced hands". And Ilse could probably tell you of other zitherists in Australia.

By the way, you need to post a video of your first learning steps too.

Tom M.
Yes Tom you are right re posting my first learning vid.
My strings arrived today !.......hooray.....
And they are now all on the Zither.
Wil take a few days for the Zither to adapt and the strings to get rid of the stretch factor.
Had a quick go at the chords C , F and G.
God this is not easy!!!
But great fun.
Pete
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Hi Pete,

Great that your strings have arrived!

Don't get too excited...the old 80/20 rule applies... except here it seems to be 90/10....80% of the work is done by 20% of the membership.

Take care Pete. the world is full of "leakers".

rudi
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Thanks Rudi.
Yes i will try to contain myself.
Never has so much been owed!...........etc etc.
So long as us, " the few " stick together that is all we can hope for and be happy with it.
Trying to make a camera holder to be directly above me so ALL mistakes may be scrutinised i n the planned first video.
Bach's Tocata and Fugue may take just a few more days to perfect!
Take care you too.
Pete
jbug_zither

Post by jbug_zither »

Pete -

No apologies necessary! I have been involved with different forums, and the 80/20 rule usually applies. In my case it is not a matter of nothing to say, but finding the time to be on the forum (I will be better on this). I think it is great that you are posting your learning on You Tube. My belief is that the more that the zither is publicized, the more interest there will be.

I have not gotten to far into the posts, but is there anything about the new group in Washington, Missouri? The recent North American Zither Gathering (which I attended) was held there. This was the second gathering I have attended, and as always, very inspirational to work harder at practicing! It was the first zither concert in Washington, MO in 99 years! The auditorium was packed with the audience impressed with the performance and a renewed interest in the zither (new beginners class starting next month).

June
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

June.
I am very sorry that I did not reply.
I have only just noticed upon reading the posts that you asked a question that I have rudely left unanswered.
I cannot answer your last quest as I live in Australia!
I do not know what Zither movements are going on in USA.
But I wish I was there to join you ya all!
Oh God yeah!
But not possible.
Meeanwhile I shall just bury mah self in the Australian bush and hope someday to hear from you or other Zither players.
Zither players?........what the hell?.....we play the Digerreedoo here mate!
Pete..
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Pete - you're not alone, even in distant Australia!

When you contacted Lotte and Ilse in Australia, what did you hear about other zither players, students, or groups?

Tom M.