Aloha 'Oe

What songs are you playing now? Do you have a question or comment on playing techniques?

Moderator: Dave

Dave

Aloha 'Oe

Post by Dave »

I found this zither arrangement while looking through an ancient box of sheet music from the San Francisco Zither Club. Thought others would like to see it too, so I'm posting it here. Enjoy!
Attachments
Aloha_Oe_ZII.pdf
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
Aloha_Oe.pdf
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 224 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
kenbloom

Re: Aloha 'Oe

Post by kenbloom »

The first time that Hawaiian musicians were heard on the mainland was at the Seattle Exhibition in 1909. They caused a sensation. When they played Aloha 'Oe the audience would not let them go until they had played it at least 4 times. This phenomenon had not been seen since the 1840's when the Virginia Minstrels played Dixie with the same result. It is significant that this music comes from a club in San Francisco. The Hawaiian craze started on the West Coast and that continued to be its center until the 1950's. It's a nice arrangement and thank you Dave for presenting it here.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Dave

Post by Dave »

That's great info, thank you Ken! To my surprise, there was a zither II as well, so I've added it as an attachment to the original post.

Best,

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
jbug_zither

Post by jbug_zither »

Thank you, Dave, for the music! I hope to be back onto scanning the sheet music from my mother-in-law in the near future ;)

June
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Thank you Dave.
What a lovely thing to see again.
A hand written piece of music.
It has so much charm.
It is not easy to write music that looks professional without a lot of practice.
My father at one time was a bandmaster and i remember him composing and arranging pieces fir full military band and orchestra in Singapore. ( radio Singapore ) in the 60s.
They used to call the art of writing the music for each instrument " dry knacking ".
He would often be up all night doing it.
Lovely to see.
Thank you.
Ps ....i note they have included the fingering as well!
Nice one.
Pete
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey folks,

I’ve been working on putting some of the older zither music I have into MuseScore so I can convert them from treble clef to bass clef. It also makes it easy to print the older music and keep it all in one binder. I decided to plug Aloha Oe in the other day to see what it sounds like and to have a copy that isn’t hand written. Its a pretty song! I’ve attached the PDF for anyone who wants a bass clef copy and a link to an mp3 of the program playing it for anyone who wants to hear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c6pv1exko0du ... e.mp3?dl=0

- Andy
Attachments
Aloha_Oe.pdf
(53.68 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Many thanks for this, Andy. As nice as it is to see a hand-written piece of music (I've downloaded it a while ago), your pdf is so much easier to read.