Introducing Myself

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

JeffJetton

Introducing Myself

Post by JeffJetton »

Hello all,

I'm Jeff, from Nashville, TN ("Music City"). I don't yet have a zither, but I'm strongly pondering the idea, so I thought I'd join the forum here.

I got my start as a piano player, but eventually picked up the accordion several years back and now teach it to a handful of students each week. I've also dabbled in guitar, ukulele, Chapman Stick, and concertina along the way.

The accordion, coupled with a visits to German/Austria/Switzerland, led me to appreciate the folk music of those areas. Which of course led to falling in love with the sound of the zither.

I look forward to picking up some advice and tips on the forum here!

Thanks,

- Jeff
NutmegCT

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Jeff - welcome to *the* zither place!

I felt the same about the instrument, first when I heard it in The Third Man back a zillion years ago. Then during trips to Switzerland, Austria, Germany. Sadly I'm still a beginner. I need patience!

Just to whet the appetite a bit more ...

https://youtu.be/urr-q4w1jPU?list=RDacsnaLCTPSk
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. The concert zither is a fabulous instrument and is capable of doing all sorts of things. For many years I have mainly used it to play American music. I do play a bit the zither standards but I find that jazz and blues work great on it. I've played tons of country music using the basic technique of rhythm on the bass and accompaniment strings and then playing back up or lead on the fingerboard patterning what I do after backup guitar or steel guitar phrases.
Many years ago I used to go to the pedal steel guitar convention in St. Louis every year with my friend Winnie Winston. We used to perform a set of the two of us with zither and pedal steel. It was very well received. Good luck on your zither journey.

Ken Bloom
Jubal

Post by Jubal »

Hello Jeff,

I'm also from Nashville. I don't have a zither yet either, I'm trying to track one down. I wonder where the closest zither teacher to us is?