Hello

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

isarian

Hello

Post by isarian »

Hello, I’m new to this forum and I would like to introduce myself to its members. My name is Sepp and I live in the Bavarian Alps. I like this forum and the way it is set up. We Germans/Austrians, at least to my knowledge, don’t have anything really comparable.
I lived in the States for many years but never came across a zither player. Therefore, it is good to learn that there are still some zither players around. Also, in Germany/Austria it is hardly known that there have been some zither makers in the States. For this reason I would like to aquire a good Franz Schwarzer zither, possibly with an piano bottom, to show to people here that good zithers have also been built in America.
Sepp
NutmegCT

Re: Hello

Post by NutmegCT »

Servus Sepp. Welcome to the Forum.

I'm a beginner to zither, just teaching myself, with an old Schuster instrument. There are many members here, from all over the world.

You might post a request to buy a zither in this Forum area:

viewforum.php?f=6

Tom in Connecticut
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Grüas di Gott Seppl,

Where did you live while here in the States? It's a small world, and would not be surprising if it were not in some zither player's back yard.

"Isaria" is a flash to the river of course. My mother was from Neufahrn (very near the Isar), father from WeihanStephan by Freising, and Grandfather from Fürholzen bei Pöhl. We donated my father's Schwarzer to the Schwarzer museum in Washington Missouri, but still have the one from Tante Ella.

Andreas Waldschütz of Miesbach had a restored Schwarzer Perfecta in his shop in spring of 2013. He may know of others which might be available, playable, and/or restoreable. His shop is on the road between Miesbach and Bad Tölz, and his web site and shop are described elsewhere on this forum. Call ahead if you visit; Andreas has a busy performance schedule and may be away.

Mir san mir,

Rudi
isarian

Post by isarian »

Servus and Griaß Eich to both of you,

I lived in Westwood/Los Angeles, CA. and Portland, Oregon.

I know Andi Waldschütz. He lives not far from me and is my zither doctor. I also know his Schwarzer Perfekta zither. My aim is to find a really nice Schwarzer zither (or zithers), possibly one with a piano bottom, but I know I will not find it/them in Bavaria.

Most zither players here will wrinke their nose when they hear about an american made Zither; however, I would like to show them otherwise.

Sepp
Last edited by isarian on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Grüas di Sepp,

You may want to check out "west coast zitherers" in the "General Discussion" section of this web site.

As we speak, our daughter and her husband (pilot, guitarist) are in Portland to attend the wedding of his brother, who is the drummer for a popular singer and group, who/which has/have toured not only here, but Australia, New Zealand, Africa, and Europe.

This Friday and Saturday will be the last days of the Oktoberfest of the F.C. Bayern/Milwaukee, thank God. Kurt and Ludwig have been playing in the "off-to-the-side" Wein Gazebo, with yours truly on guitar, and Toni D on "ziag". Unbelievable attendance; last Saturday we had to literally stop playing because we could barely hear one another. But all had a great time. F.C.B. has over 600 kids in several soccer leagues here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the upper Midwest, and the "we are here and we are determined to have a great time" crowd did indeed have a great time, hopefully helping the non-profit goals of the F.C.B./Milwaukee.

MIA SAN MIA!!!!!

Rudi
velocio

Post by velocio »

OK, just for the record (re: "West Coast Zitherers")
My name is Joseph (not "Joe"!), and I am not from the West Coast, but from Lower Bavaria (Passau) - although California is my fiscal residence. But I am a member of the "Californian Zither Revival Quartet" - that's right, there are four of us!!
And, no, I do not have a Franz Schwarzer Zither ...
Joseph
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Well, I guess I qualify to be a West Coast zither player. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I first encountered the zither in the Darr book that I found at what was then Walecki's Music on Westwood Blvd. It's now Westwood music. I moved to San Francisco in 1971 and it was there I got my first zither and began to teach myself to play.
My first good zither was made by a man named Roderick Shuster who was a zither maker trained in Germany but, according to Sofian Zapf, lived here. It was a fine instrument. I only sold it because I was able to get an Adolf Meinel. I now live in North Carolina but I'm glad to know there are more zither players in LA. I will try to get in touch the next time I go out there to visit my family.

Ken Bloom