Replacement Strings - What is YOUR favorite brand?

Post all other questions and comments here. New forums will be added as required.

Moderator: Dave

DonO

Replacement Strings - What is YOUR favorite brand?

Post by DonO »

A general question to the Zither Community: what is your favorite brand manufacturer for strings? Is your preference based on tonal quality, or on price?

From a selfish perspective, I have an antique AltZither and wonder which brand of available strings for an Alt (Lenzner or Pyramid) produces the best tonal quality. I would enjoy hearing from any AltZither players out there. I have posed this same question to my friend, Andreas Waldschuetz, in Germany and will let you all know what he recommends as a brand preference as well.
kenbloom

Re: Replacement Strings - What is YOUR favorite brand?

Post by kenbloom »

I have been using Bergfe Blue label strings on both of my Meinels. They have good tone and stay in tune very well. I started using Pyramid back in the 70's but found that the windings gave out rather quickly and the overall sound was not good. Living in North Carolina I don't have a lot of choices. I would love to hear about the Lenzner strings that everyone seems to carry. When it comes to strings, I don't think price is a very good thing to consider. Tone and longevity I think are the most important things. I would love to hear what anyone has to say comparing Bergfe and Lenzner strings.

Ken Bloom
Dave

Post by Dave »

I don't have a preference, per se, but at the moment I'm using Bergfee Green (nylon) for the open strings and Lenzner for the fretboard. I do like using a wound d for the fretboard string. To me the wound d, when played open, sounds much more mellow.

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
DonO

Post by DonO »

I have Pyramids on the little Schwarzer (see the section "Repairs & Restorations" where this gem of an instrument is pictured), and it gives a nice bright sound--both fretboard and accomp strings.

I have Lenzners on my antique Alto Zither: I am not overly pleased with them, as they are sort of dull and uninteresting in sound. I have replaced a few accomp strings (as they wear out) with Pyramids. The Pyramids sound brighter. I think the real low bass strings, I will leave as Lenzners as I'm afraid if Pyramids were on the low low bass notes they would crush the sound box.

I have heard nice things about Bergfee; however they are unavailable for Alto Zither. I already had a set of Pyramids that fit onto the little Schwarzer concert zither so they were re-purposed.

Also, as promised in an earlier post, Andi Waldschuetz of Kerschbam Zithermusi, noted that his brand preference for tone quality is Pyramid despite their being more expensive, saying "you get what you pay for".