Early Cabinet Card - New York

Do you have an item of historical interest to share with the zither community? Did you have an ancestor that played the zither? This is the place to share your stories.

Moderator: Dave

Dave

Early Cabinet Card - New York

Post by Dave »

In the past, with sheet music publishers, instrument makers, etc., New York City was quite the hub of zither activity in the US. In this circa 1890s image, an unknown New York zither player poses for a photograph at the Central Park Studio of Eberhardt Rommel, located at 985 8th Ave.
Attachments
ny_zither_player_scaled.jpg
ny_zither_player_scaled.jpg (399.65 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
kenbloom

Re: Early Cabinet Card - New York

Post by kenbloom »

Looks like he learned to play out of the Darr book. Look at the little finger. I tried that when I first started and soon realized that this was not a good way to play. Very interesting. Thanks for putting this up, Dave.

Ken Bloom
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

The stately presence and suit exude royalty. Is it of the diplomatic corps?

The little finger on the right hand looks almost "cone shaped" and the little finger on the left hand is really hidden. Congenital? Generally, my left hand little finger is visible and actively counter-balancing the rest of the hand. Is this the case with other players?

Again, a blessed Christmas to all..... und ein guter Rutsch.....

2015, ready or not, here we come!!!!

Rudi
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

I use my little finger a lot (left hand). I guess it comes from years of guitar playing as well as other instruments but I find it very handy. There are so many times when I need the other fingers free to grab something and I use the little finger for some lower notes. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a teacher. Looking forward to another year of zither playing!

Ken Bloom