Der Zitherspieler....

Do you have an item of historical interest to share with the zither community? Did you have an ancestor that played the zither? This is the place to share your stories.

Moderator: Dave

Rudy Mueller

Der Zitherspieler....

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Does anyone out there have a really good copy of the watercolor "der Zitherspieler"? Has this print ever been "re-issued"? Can it be restored?

As a kid, I remember the colors as gorgeous...but neither Opa nor I took the time for UV resistant glass. Schmaarn. What could/should have been done to protect a watercolor treasure like this? What can be done to restore it? and/or to protect it in the future?

Rudi
Dave

Re: Der Zitherspieler....

Post by Dave »

Hi Rudi,

I have a postcard with Emil Rau's "Der Zitherspieler," but not the one by Defregger with the hunter playing the zither, two women and dachsund. The one by Rau is attached here.

Aside from using UV resistant glass, I would recommend using an archival quality mat when framing the piece -- over time the image can stick to the glass is there is no separation. Items not framed, sheet music, photographs, etc., can be encapsulated in mylar. I'd be interesting to hear what you learn regarding restoration options.

Dave
Attachments
rau_der_zitherspieler.jpg
rau_der_zitherspieler.jpg (431.89 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Rudy Mueller

Re: Der Zitherspieler....

Post by Rudy Mueller »

ZITRSPLR (Small).jpg
ZITRSPLR (Small).jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Our son recently found a painted plaster cast/relief of "der Zitherspieler" in a Cedarburg Wisconsin shop.

The signature on the lower right hand corner is "H Maroder 1944"

Any ideas as to Who, Where, When, What of this gem?

Rudi