Classical Music on the Zither

What songs are you playing now? Do you have a question or comment on playing techniques?

Moderator: Dave

rdianetti

Classical Music on the Zither

Post by rdianetti »

Hi

I'm new to the board and zithering. Caught a great video on YouTube of a Bach Cello piece played on a zither and was hooked. Now I have two ebay zithers on the way (God help me) and am set on learning the instrument. I particularly like Bach, which I play on the piano, guitar, Ukelele, and harpsichord (yes I have a 5 foot in the house).

My question is this: do many people play classical music on the zither? I don't see too much on YouTube but I see know reason why it can't be done. Thoughts?

Bob
Dave

Re: Classical Music on the Zither

Post by Dave »

Hi Bob, Welcome! I believe the piece you're referring to was played by Harald Oberlechner -- it comes across beautifully. I can’t speak to numbers, but some do prefer to play classical music. You’ll also find that most zither music publishers offer classical arrangements, especially those works by Bach. You'll find several links to zither music publishers in the “Zithers and Resources” forum to explore. I’ve ordered from several with no issue.

Posting the link for others to enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-mPivdViU

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz