Transcriptions of Hymns for concert zither

Do you have information regarding zither supplies, such as rings, strings, tables and sheet music? Are you looking for a reliable zither, or have one to sell?

Moderator: Dave

DanSymonds

Transcriptions of Hymns for concert zither

Post by DanSymonds »

I am lookiing for a collection of hymns for concert zither. I am sure transcriptions must be out there because the zither was sometimes used for services when piano/ pianist weren't available. I am aware of a CD from Kerry Christensen of hymns (which are very nice by the way) but I am interested in the scores.
Rudy Mueller

Re: Transcriptions of Hymns for concert zither

Post by Rudy Mueller »

The "Gather" hymnal used by many Catholic congregations has proven useful for this beginner. The score contains the melody line only, no harmony, and is easy to follow for the novice. The base line, open string use, and harmony can be penciled in as skills develop. My "gently used" copy, containing nearly 1000 titles, (hymns, psalms, various liturgies) was obtained at minimal cost when an older version was replaced by the congregation. There are companion series for piano and guitar accompaniment, but these cost ~$90, and older versions are usually snapped up by congregation musicians.

Some parishes use a much smaller paperback version, replacing (discarding) once or twice per year. These frequently have notation for guitar accompaniment.

The "Volkstümliche Weihnacht" series is also useful for Advent/Christmas music. Probably suitable for the more advanced player, the songs can be "creatively simplified". This is available on e-bay.de for many different instruments, more suitable for groups.

Rudi Mueller
DanSymonds

Post by DanSymonds »

Thanks as alwys Rudi. I will keep my eyes open for these versions.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Hymns ala' Brubeck:

The closing song at St. Joe's in Grafton this morning was "Sing of the Lord's Glory", the musical score being that of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five".

Written in 5/4th time, this classic melody can be seen somewhere on u-tube on zither. As I recall, the zitherist was a young lady.

Rudi Mueller
DonO

Post by DonO »

Rudi-

Interesting to see you reference Dave Brubeck and his classic signature piece, Take Five. I grew up with his children, his daughter being in my high school class (Wilton, Connecticut). Though Dave has passed 3 yrs on and his wife, just last year, his sons still live in town and are composing and performing worldwide. Nothing to do with zithers, but saw your reference and couldn't resist making a connection for you.

all good wishes to you. Don
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

There are quite a few German/Austrian religious works on "Paul's Homepage" .

Their website address is WWW.SINS942.CH . Yes, there is a town called Sins in Switzerland, and the site is that of their choral/music collection, including many folksongs and jodlers.

Rudi Mueller
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Here are two which might be of help. These have been arranged for beginners, with basic one string accompaniment ala' Schwinghammer.

Rudi

hope the attachments come through correctly
Attachments
Amazing Grace F (8).pdf
(210.47 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
How Great C.pdf
(212.61 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

This is not quite a hymn, but fits the current weather pattern. We have had 2.5 inches of rain (62 liters/m^2?) in the last 36 hours her in WI.

As a kid, we sang this quite often after supper. It's an"oldie"; none of my cousins in Bavaria could sing along....schmaarn
abba schau schau wias' renga tuat.pdf
(210.87 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

The open strings make one think.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

That should be a treble clef for the bass. double meh.

r