Travelling Zither Table

Do you have information regarding zither supplies, such as rings, strings, tables and sheet music? Are you looking for a reliable zither, or have one to sell?

Moderator: Dave

Rudy Mueller

Travelling Zither Table

Post by Rudy Mueller »

It was desired to prepare a table which would lend itself to travel better than a previous model which (a) was made of walnut and was on the heavy side, and (b) had a reflecting surface, which local players concluded added nothing to the acoustics.

The current rev was constructed of scrap pine with cedar legs, with an open surface top, flat folding and nesting legs, and a self storing note stand.

The top surface is 73x40 cm, with a combined handle/note stand of 8x35 cm, attached.

The playing surface is 59 cm from the floor, a comfortable personal preference. The table in use can be seen in the "Kinderkamp" post elsewhere on this site.

Rudi
Attachments
table 2014 008 (Small).jpg
table 2014 008 (Small).jpg (48.51 KiB) Viewed 975 times
table 2014 007 (Small).jpg
table 2014 007 (Small).jpg (53.91 KiB) Viewed 975 times
table 2014 003 (Small).jpg
table 2014 003 (Small).jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 975 times
kenbloom

Re: Travelling Zither Table

Post by kenbloom »

HI Rudi,

I"m wondering how the volume and bass response of this table is, since it has a frame to support the zither rather than a solid surface. I have made a number of portable zither tables and the best sounding ones that I have made have rather thick solid tops. The current one I'm using has a top thickness of more than 3/4". The very portable one I made has a much thinner top and doesn't have the volume or the resonance. I'm just curious what your experience is here.

Ken Bloom
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Thanks Ken,

One of my goals in taking up the zither was to play some of the songs we sang as kids, at home, and this table top works quite well in these "Haus Musik" situations.

The hall used at the KinderKamp in August is all pine paneled, with a maple floor. The flags added actually soften the sound level. One of the kids remarked "why is your zither so loud"; but of course, they were immediately next to it.

By the way, this youngster thus gave an opportunity to open up a short discussion on resonance, and why the trumpet played at opening in the morning and closing in the afternoon was so very loud. Should I get the opportunity again, a background discussion on resonance across instruments might be in order. Homework for the teacher!

Rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Ken, addenda:

The bass response is satisfactory for my needs. Is that "thin top" laminated?

On a thicker table, is sound converted to heat and lost?

Rudi
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

HI Rudi,

On my thinner topped table, the top is solid spruce. On the perfekta table, the top is sycamore. Here in the States, sycamore is kind of a soft hardwood, similar in density to mahagony. The best sound I ever had was on a mahagony dining room table that I found at a yard sale and put in my studio. I didn't mind having the little holes in it from my zither feet and the bass respnse was nothing short of spectacular. Volume was also wonderful. When I got my Meinel perfekta zither, my old tables weren't large enough for it so I made the current table. It is a bit heavy but the case for the zither fits inside.
On my old Meinel normal zither I had a pickup that Rudi Wassek made for me. It was great but that won't work on the perfekta. Now I just use a condenser mic on a stand and with this table the results are excellent. Glad your lighter weight table is working out for you.

Ken Bloom