Beginner zither it's

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

jbug_zither

Beginner zither it's

Post by jbug_zither »

Hi! My name is June, and I am loaded with beginner questions ;). I do have a music background (violin), but I have only been learning how to play the zither on my own since thr third annual North American zither workshop this last year. Anne Prinz and Tomy Temerson were a big help in getting me going in the right direction, but i do not have anyone locally to help me learn.

That being said, first question - what is the significance of the markers on the fret board? I am using "Von Anfang an Band 1" book. I am learning in the third position ( I believe that is correct) where C on the G string lines up with the first marker. I am also interested in learning when one would use the other positions. I am finding that this position is easier for my fingers than the 'traditional' position that I am used to when playing violin.

Thank you ;)
Rudy Mueller

Re: Beginner zither it's

Post by Rudy Mueller »

hi june,

your post demonstrates your enthusiasm and committment. thanks for joining us. there are no bad questions, just bad answers; none of us is as smart as all of us.

first, the pearl dots. on page 3 of his "ZITHER METHOD with special regard to self-instruction", a. kabatek says "..."the pearl dots on the fingerboard...assist the eye in finding the notes...".

on begining in the third position, both kabatek and a. darr (METHOD FOR ZITHER) start the student off in the "first" position. other higher positions have a real advantage in some scores, and are brought in as needed.

on "isolation", where are you located? you may not want to answer this on the forum; if you send dave kyger an e-mail, i'm sure he would forward it to me. for the longest time i also had this feeling....until i found out that there were two other zither players who practiced regularly about 10 miles from our home.

the old germans used to say "alle anfang sind schwer"....all beginnings are difficult. one aid i found recently was to practice with a metronome.

thanks again for the post.

rudy mueller
jbug_zither

Re: Beginner zither it's

Post by jbug_zither »

Hi Rudy -

It would be great if you could find someone within 10 minutes from me :D I am located in Sebastian, Florida, and I have contacted German-American clubs, and the only one I have found is Sepp Diepolder, but he is four hours away... I have checked with local music stores and musical instrument teachers with no luck. Maybe through this forum I will find someone closer :)

Thank you for the information regarding the markers. I have the Darr book that is in both English and German... It appears that I will have to work on my German along with learning the zither :lol: