Musikschule- Zuhause DVD learning course, 55 lessons for €19

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Musicmaker

Musikschule- Zuhause DVD learning course, 55 lessons for €19

Post by Musicmaker »

Info@musikschule-zuhause.de
I have written the email contact before I forgot it.
There are questions about how best to learn the Zither when we do not have the luxury of a teacher.
I have just tonight, seen this Zither School which is obtained by ordering from Germany.
The text is all in German but I think if you are eager enough, the demonstrations are clear in what they are teaching.
There are two courses.
Basic course
Intermadiate/ advanced
Both courses come in the form of six DVDS plus the sheets with the music notes.
Each course cost €195 and consists of 55 lessons on each.
For clear instruction step by step I do not consider this expensive but good value.
I have watched some of their trailer videos and it seems good to me,
Before I rush and buy the basic course, has anybody please heard of this Method?
Would you recommend It?
What do you think about It?
It's called .........Musikschule Zuhause which you should be able to get on the Web by typing this in.
Please let me know what you think....especially if you are an accomplished Zitherests whom we do not hear much from.
Thank you
Pete
Dave

Re: Musikschule- Zuhause DVD learning course, 55 lessons for

Post by Dave »

Hi Pete, that's a good find. I haven't heard of this instructional material, but I think the use of multiple camera angles would be most helpful. Plus, looks like there are plenty of song selections to keep one occupied for some time.

If you do order, ask them to add captions in English. That would expand their audience. ;-)

Best,
Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

I checked out some of their YouTube examples. Take a look at the Zither example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8BvVBAadCY

I'm interested in how the experienced zitherists (Ken, Dave, etc.) feel about the hand and finger positions in the videos.

http://www.musikschule-zuhause.de/zithe ... inhalt.htm

The series might be very useful, but I'd need some expert opinion on the teaching and playing techniques of the videos, before investing over US$200 in the series. As in all DVD or video lessons, or method books, there's no feedback to the learner at all.

Just my two groschen!
Tom M.
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Tom,
Like you, I would like to hear some more input from the forum.
There is actually some feedback which comes under the label Erfahrungen ( experiences )
There are only three photographed people with positive comments.
That's not a crowd exactly but don't forget that the zither is quite obscure now and most people don't know what one Is!
I made a mistake in the price in the heading.
As you have seen, the cost is €195 which is £170 which equates to about £3 a lesson which is.....well......cheap.
But I would like to know more about them until I buy.
Fraid we are stuck with the German but hey ho, by the time you have finished the course you will also have learnt German which I imagine really helps when learning particularly the Zither......

Stop Press!
I have just gone back to the site and pressed the ( experiences ) button for every instrument they teach and found that ....
The satisfaction Pie Charts are all exactly the same.
I would have thought they would vary just a Little ???
Also that for every instrument there are only exactly three people with their comments.
Mhhhhh....I am a bit suspicious
Pete
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

What's that old saying? lies, damned lies, and statistics?

I'm not discouraged by only three chosen "experience" tellers per instrument. The publisher is trying to sell the package, so wants to show the good parts.

However, I'm interested that there are two levels, each costing E195. Total with shipping to USA would probably be near US$500. As I don't want to spend a chunk of money on something that might be over my head - or way below my current ability - I'd like to know what's actually covered in the "Basiskurs", and what's covered in the advanced course.

I also notice that only two or three chord sets (G, F, C, etc.) are used in most of the lessons. But ... I was impressed that toward the end of the "advanced" video example, two-string melody is used.

Have to admit I am tempted to order the "pakets", but realize that without personal feedback, I'd just be buying videos of written exercises and simple tunes. And I've already got lots of written exercises and simple tunes!

Tom M.
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Before I commit to buy from you there are a few things I would like to know Please?
Why are the Pie charts for every instrument the same Percentages?
Why are there only three examples of people's experiences of your school.
Why can we not contact them to ask their opinions in Private?
Is it not important to include the teachers name so that customers may research It?
Why is it not possible to have access to your forum without having bought a package from You?
Is it possible to buy the package covered in English?
Many kind regards
Peter Cane

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Hi Tom,
The above is a copy of my email to the Musikschule zuhause.
It sounds very enquiring and negative but it amplifies the need to know the unknown.
I hope I get a positive response.
Let's not forget that these two courses are probably the only DVD complete course available Globally for Zither?
I don't know but can only suggest that.
I do not want to discount them as they represent really good value lesson for lesson.
At the end of the day, the teacher who is playing is playing the pieces nicely and therefore I assume fingering must be correct.
We all have our restrictions as to just where to bend our fingers but let's face it, some of us are older than others and have to compensate on what is more comfortable to the individual.
Simple Tunes......
Well I am an advocate of simple tunes actually.
If we are relative starters then I think simple tunes are the way to go.
If we are asking questions about hand positioning then we need to keep it simple.
I believe that you were a concert Cellist?
A simple tune played by a beginner will be recognised by the masses and we will say " that was lovely...well done You! "
Baa Baa Black sheep played in single notes with the heart, with love, with expression and personality by Jacqueline Du Pres will bring us to Tears!
Pete
jbug_zither

Re: Musikschule- Zuhause DVD learning course, 55 lessons for €19

Post by jbug_zither »

Pete -

Did you ever get a reply from your email? My husband found this same site online and had the same concerns and had planned to write an email to the site with questions this weekend. However, if you have not received an email back, I wonder if it is worth the effort to contact them with an email...

June
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

I watched the Youtube clip. As far as hand position goes, I don't think there is one position for everyone. I organize my fingers a bit differently. After watching a number of older players get a lot of sound out of some very small instruments I tend to do what they did. I try to keep my wrist up and attack the strings more vertically. I also use my little finger for the bass notes of minor chords since the middle finger plays the fifth and the index finger gets the third for those. After using the Hintermeyer books I am far less doctrinaire about which fingers do what.
I did not have a teacher and only found people who played after I was already playing. I found a solo album of Rudi Knabl that had a huge variety of music on it, Hungarian, Japanese, some ragtime and it was solo with only two cuts that had band accompaniment. This album was an inspiration to me. I used what I already knew about plucked instruments. The Darr book got me started but after that I approached the zither like I did other instruments, doing scales on the fingerboard and also using the bass, accompaniment, and contra bass strings. I played everyday and worked out music that excited me, mostly jazz tunes and American music. Early on, I began to use my thumb in both directions so I could play eighth notes more quickly. I think the best advice I could give anyone is two words from the I Ching...........Perseverance Furthers!!

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Hi June.
I have failed in giving the feedback from this firm.
So here it is...
They have not directly answered all my questions.
I tackled them about the "Pie Charts " being exactly the same for each instrument tought.
About there only being three recommendations for each instrument they teach.
About who the teacher was?
There were no answers.
On the face of it, it seems good value ...BUT...
I personally detect something that does not sound right?
I invite you to investigate yourself and will eagerly await your opinions.
Pete