Tuning for custom Zither

Interested in learning how to play the zither and wondering where to start? Use this section to post your questions.

Moderator: Dave

Chuck

Tuning for custom Zither

Post by Chuck »

New to the forum and have just purchased a Zither and don't know much about it. I have tried researching for information about it with not much luck. I am wanting to know how to tune it for starters and would be nice to have info on how to play it. I am sure I can figure that out any help appreciated

I am a living historian interpreting a two room cabin at "museum of Texas handmade furniture " in New Branufels, Texas. I have my fiddle and cheese ring tack head banjo hanging on the wall. A perfect place for the Zither....Thanks!
NutmegCT

Re: Tuning for custom Zither

Post by NutmegCT »

Congrats on your first zither! I believe it's a "Streich-zither", which I believe was to be played with a bow (if the bridge at the left which supports the strings is curved).

As far as tuning, with four strings I'd assume it's like a violin (E A D G) or viola/cello (A D G C).

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discu ... =3&t=16870

Wiser minds than mine will share more detail.

On a different tack, I'm also a "living historian". I portray an early 19th century New England farmer at Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts.

Tom M.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Tom thanks for the reply. I had thought that I would tune it like my fiddle/mandolin for starters. Perhaps someone would tell me original tuning..

Nice to meet you I have been a living history for 25+ years. Our furthest event is consensual,Indiana. Do a lot of weaving and other demo's...have a nice day..
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

The instrument is designed so that zither players can play a bowed instrument along with an ensemble. The tuning is the same as the fingerboard strings on a zither which would be CGDA. I'm not exactly sure about the type of strings to use. Zither fingerboard strings would work but I'm sure that there are some viola sets that might sound better and bow more easily. I'd go for a carbon fiber viola bow. The extra weight will make bowing easier. Good luck.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org