The latest news from Cincinnati & Don:

Is your zither in need of repair? Do you have questions on how to best maintain your zither, or have advice? Post your questions and advice here.

Moderator: Dave

DonHurd

The latest news from Cincinnati & Don:

Post by DonHurd »

The music-performing business, here, has been profitable of late, so I haven't had much zither practice--just the correct amount to keep it daily in hand. But several zither-related events have to be reported!
I bought yet ANOTHER zither on ebay--a Schwarzer (my #3,) with oblong tunng pins and a KEY that fits it and my keyless "zither #1!" This new zither is decorated with very pretty inlay, and came complete and in tune! It has one or two pins that slip, but I'll let it rest until the weather warms up here in Ohio to see how it does. (It came from Florida!) Zither #1 has some stringing issues similar to my initial problems with zither #2; I'm going to gradually sort them out, but it tuned up pretty easily. But zither #2 is very usable and I'm going to concentrate more on practicing on it, and then work out the issues on the others. It was Rudy's comment that his Schwarzer had oblong pins that piqued my interest in #3 as a means of solving the problem with #1. And Schwarzer #3 came with a nice assortment of music, methods, photos, newspaper articles, picks, and zither-related newsletters, so it is probably time to hit the books, now that I've gotten somewhat capable of playing songs by ear. Coordination of the right hand is certainly a challenge!! But great fun, and very satisfying when it all slowly comes together. Best regards, Don